*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's meant for compute workloads (embedded projects, AI etc), as for modded drivers I think the farthest you can go is 436.xx or around that. No NVENC is annoying especially as older machines don't have support for VP9 or HEVC

2. drystxx

drystxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I got bored with my Alienware 17 with the p106m video card installed.

I decided to do my own fan mod. I am not good with extreme modifications. I managed to add pwm fan controllers each for the cpu and gpu without blasting holes or cutting any part of the chassis.

(video) https://streamable.com/huuotc
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ashtrix, t456, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Great work, looks like the fan drops off below a certain threshold? Or at least it sounded that way

What parts did you end up using to achieve this?

4. drystxx

drystxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Thank you. My alienware 17 looks like an alien with antennas lol.

Yeah the fan does drop below a certain threshold. It feels like the fans has 3 modes when I turn the nobs, (1st mode, fan is off, 2nd mode fan is on high speed, 3rd mode fan is on ultra high speed and sounds like a jet lol)

Since I live in Japan, I bought my pwm controller and heat resistant electronic wires from Amazon Japan

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B013DJZCQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Resis...dchild=1&keywords=ワイヤー&qid=1614700433&sr=8-33

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Does HWINFO64 still read the RPM's?

6. drystxx

drystxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately not. The 2 middle wires for the cpu and gpu fan have been removed. I could reconnect it again though someday.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    +rep, really fantastic work there. No dremel or any it's absolutely great to see AW17 R1 still getting a lot of love from their owners. It would be great if you can share the mod or such in any form. Thank you again for the idea. And I agree, the Alienware machine now looks like a proper alien with antennas lol.

8. vegenerstero

vegenerstero Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, do you mind sharing driver for P106M ?

9. DrBlackAwesome

DrBlackAwesome Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I bought a new 120hz screen and used the correct cables, I plugged in the connector to the motherboard and the screen along with the camera. The only thing I think I've done differently from all the direction was connect the extra cable line where it connects to the motherboard. The motherboard connector part had one with screws and next to it was a small one. I connected it and my computer turns on but no screen, only lights come on. No caps, no windows sound, just the lights. Do y'all know any ideas of what it could be or if I did something wrong maybe.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you use the MUX switch to switch from switchable graphics to dGPU only mode before installing the panel? Also does the panel's backlight turn on?

I did this as a precaution before I did my panel upgrade almost 4 years ago just in case something like this happened. Supposedly the laptop is supposed to auto-detect the panel plugged into the motherboard and apply the correct settings to get a video output, but sometimes this doesn't happen.

My recommendation is to perform a BIOS reset, also known as an NVRAM reset, to give the laptop a swift kick in the butt so that it'll apply the correct settings.

To perform an NVRAM reset, perform the following steps:
    1. Power the machine off
    2. Remove all memory modules
    3. Turn the laptop on and let it beep until it turns off
    4. Quickly insert in a RAM module before the laptop turns itself back on. You have approximately 2 seconds before this happens.

Your laptop should now apply the default settings and you should get an image on your screen.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Papusan and Maxware79 like this.