*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Best to post pictures of the memory itself. It's either not an 1866MHz (which says you've been ripped off) or there are some issues with your mobo. So far if the RAM was high clock my Ranger would apply the speeds if it was set as AUTO.

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it normal for it to say that the display is 1024x768? I'm not at home to check what my Ranger says.

3. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the memory sticks picture.
    I've got it from ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HyperX-Impact-32GB-4x-8GB-DDR3L-PC3L-14900S-1866MHz-204Pin-1-35V-Laptop-RAM/113778007533?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Then when installed first it would beep memory error (4 times i think) so I discovered one of four sticks was faulty and got another one.

Now that new one has different cpuz JEDEC#, you can see in the pics, three got #3#4#5#6 and one has it as #4#5#6#7 although values under are the same.
    One other thing I can see too from BIOS is that when you select custom values it lists 9*9*9*24 (I would presume those were the current settings, I did not touch/change anything, just selected custom without applying) but hw info reads that ram is working at 11*11*11*28.
    Also, HWInfo reads maximum module memory clock at 934 MHz but maximum supported memory clock 800 MHz

Here are more unlocked bios tabs, haven't changed anything
    https://imgur.com/a/JYiq2fu
    If someone could please see those settings if there is something weird about them, I just can't tell. Compare them to yours

Yes, I thought that was weird too, but haven't touched it.

Can XMP settings be found anywhere? You can just select one of them but I would like to know what the values are. I can't see anywhere the memory voltage in bios.

I do have an issue with one usb port on the daughter board, it registers with sound when something is plugged in but doesn't recognize so its not working.
    "USB device not recognized" is the message.
    My R9 died so I am about to install 980m.
    Bought an 4930mx that did not work either, all is fine with 4710mq.
    So, it could be something weird with my mobo but I cannot find out what since everything else is normal working.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    934 is 1866Mhz and CL11 seems to be your RAM CL value at that same 1866Mhz clock
    You need to read the XMP table and then copy those values into the BIOS settings to at least run that RAM at the specced 1866Mhz CL11 ratings.
    You can then try OC'ing the clock higher, or lower the timings..

5. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @senso
    "Seems to be" - where can you see that?
    I posted pics, HWinfo does read module is capable of 934 but it works at 800.
    Setting 1867 in bios does nothing.
    I don't know how and where to read the XMP table, it isnt there in cpuz.
    I don't need to OC it, just working as it should.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    XMP is a memory overclock

While I havent personally had issue using my 2133Mhz ram at 2133Mhz with any of my Haswell based machines, the same experience hasnt been universal for everyone. I have only used this kind of memory on my 4700mq (y510p), 4930mx (Alienware 17 R1) and 4980hq (t440p). Also altering the ram speed on DDR3L has been murky at best without something like Thaiphoon but sometimes even then it would still go back to default. RWEverything is probably the best method to go with.

Papusan likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You the eBay page that you linked, CL is listed as being 11.
    Use something else than CPU-Z to read the RAM profiles, CPU-Z never shows all the profiles.
    Start with just one stick and change the values on RAM, after saving the CPU will try to train the new timings, if it fails the training it reverts to default values, thats why you dont see the values doing anything.

8. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It may be possible that it is not fully functional. Try running HWInfo, it should give you some more data.

9. keepna

keepna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I have finally installed the GTX 970m I've ordered to replace my GTX 765M.

It worked out of the box, Windows 10 installed perfectly, graphic driver even installed automatically from Windows Update.

But, the card is throttling badly.

Now it could be because I kept the 180w power adapter but according to Wikipedia there is only 10w difference between the two cards (65w versus 75w).

I also tried to put a different graphic driver than the one from Windows Update (kinda old actually 353.54) but none will work, so I tried a modded more recent driver from Eurocom and it works fine but I still have the same throttling.

Bios version is A01, Optimus is enabled, Disabled all power saving in Windows.

I might order a 240w power adapter (not sure it will fix the issue but who knows)

edit: I think I've found the issue, for whatever reason when I reboot the pc the gpu frequencies are all messed up and gpu won't go above ~50°c but on a cold boot no issue. So not a big problem after all, seems to work perfectly fine with 180w PSU.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020