*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. arvyarc

arvyarc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh Wow... Thanks for all the reply... I got the 120hz screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The other weird thing I never had to do that super involved list of sequences for my machine.

My battery was tossed day 1, since i used the space for additional storage. However I did power drain the system with the CMOS battery removed to get the 5 beep code which then allowed for me to reboot into the OS.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The main reasons for doing that ridiculous NVRAM reset procedure with the Ranger and Viking was not being able to boot after trying to undervolt the CPU too much or setting RAM timings too aggressive (probably the 5 beeps, but so long ago now that I don't remember).

The way Alienware designed it to save everything to NVRAM and refuse to turn loose of it unless you used that sledgehammer approach to force it into pooping all over itself was pretty silly. I don't know what they could have been thinking. Any "normal" laptop can have the NVRAM cleared by removing the CMOS battery.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    5 beeps is the system telling you its ready to boot and re-attempt to POST. When you are having issues elsewhere that is the golden sound to be able to restart your machine lol

Thats what was weird for my system, I never needed to take those drastic measures in order to reset the system.

That all being said, I messed with the Bus clock and killed the audio on the board before I finally threw in the towel for the Ranger.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Maybe they changed something after the initial release or fixed that problem with a BIOS update. It was happening to a lot of people in the beginning and Alienware was replacing perfectly fine motherboards under warranty that only needed the NVRAM reset. I cannot imagine how much money they wasted replacing motherboards that had nothing wrong with them.

That's really odd about the BCLK killing the audio. I wonder if it caused some kind of weird voltage spike or something. I've never seen that happen before, but there have been some pretty strange things with certain models. They try so hard to make everything proprietary that it ends up biting them in the butt.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    The NVRAM screw up for Ranger and Viking was just a light prelude to what would come from this company. 980M, Hybrid bios and the all to weak 180w Psu dropped in with a big bang with their worst move in history.

7. mpechura

mpechura Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys
    I've got a Alienware 17 R1.
    I was hoping someone here my know part number for the ribbon cable, the one that goes to the power button.
    I circled it in white on the picture below. I think I damaged it.
    [​IMG]

What part number are for other ribbon cables. Good to have a spare.

8. mpechura

Reputations:
    Also I was thinking about upgrading CPU.
    What's the best I can get for a Alienware 17 R1?
    Will I see any difference while playing games?

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)

I mean, I get like 50%-60% percent CPU load in most games but never 100% but the games sometimes lag (I've got a 1070. So I find lagging games strrange).
    So I'm thinking it might be due to CPU. Then then again all 8 cpus show well below 100% load.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    17 R1 is 4th Generation, I dont think you can get a 7th gen anything to function, if so then I would want to know how and where to get it lol

10. mpechura

Reputations:
    But what's the best you can get? Do you think it will make a difference for games?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020