*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Potentially something useful to have for all of us chasing those temperatures down.
    My U3 mod experience:
    Modding My Cooler Master NotePal U3 PLUS

EDIT: Well, live and learn:)
    I was apparently overexcited with the thing.
    Its all about the cooling pad angle, if its angled with the bottom sitting on the table it makes a difference in the airflow obviously.
    You can lift that part and while it makes the thing less noisy and has better airflow you kind of lose comfort of the keyboard. So I'm gonna use this setup, pull the laptop down like shown.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Lanius8

Lanius8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's up everyone, i have an alienware 17 (2013) with windows 10 installed. I'm tryin to have my sd card read by the computer but nothing worked: re-installing the realtek sd reader driver, trying to create a new partition, uninstalling and reinstalling usb drivers and so on.

The laptop just doesn't recognize the sd card inserted. It doesn't ever appear in the partitions.

When i go to device manager and select the sd reader, it tells me that the driver is known to have problems with windows so i should contact the producer (error code 48).

Any suggestion to fix this?

3. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ""The driver for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.""

Same thing:confused:
    Only mine went BSOD couple of times about a year ago. I had win 8.1 and then moved to win10. I did not get any more BSODs but the Device manager lists as shown. I even bought SD card daughter board to replace it as suggested by someone here but did not get to do it yet. I was about to do it these days but I have a feeling I wasted my money buying since I suspect its a driver issue. I could not find one that works nor did anything else I googled worked.

I also since that time have the following for "Unknown device" in Device manager:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There are no compatible drivers for this device.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Hardware ID says
    ACPI\VEN_CPL&DEV_0002
    and I think its alienware osd

As well the Fn+F5 does not work.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bump!
    Perhaps if someone kind enough with a working Ranger and WinX would write down what driver versions for the following they have
    realtek sd card reader driver
    alienware osd

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dont think I use either driver, as my card reader doesnt work and didnt feel the need to try to get OSD working

6. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Download drivers directly from realtek.
    I had the exact same problem and official drivers from realtek solved the problem

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Ashtrix and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Look at this bro Fox.
    The successor 17R2 that Dell launched in 2015 delivered downgraded CPU performance vs. what you were able to get from their 2 years older machines. And i7-4980Hq was the big BGA boy in 2015.
    upload_2019-11-27_7-40-12.png
    Talk about running everything into Hell. And Dell didn't offer a single thought about offering their new customer base raid support for their new and shiny(no need for that in a gaming book as Dell tech support so nice said). The biggest downgrade of features and performance from any Dellbook in History! If it wasn't for the 980M we would need to go back to 2011 to see equal performance as they offered in 2015. Just sad. The picture says it all...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, you are as right as rain, bro. Tragic.

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.