*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  2. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I was eyeing gpu upgrade r9m290x =:> 980m, so I saw on ebay few china bidding 980ms that eventualy go for cca 100 euros. Thing is I dont know why they list them as "Not compatible with 3D 120hz screen".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/nVidia-GTX...500239?hash=item56c7fe028f:g:o9wAAOSwTFRdOC~t

I was interested in what would the final cost be of doing such an upgrade.
    As I see it, apart from gpu, I need the 120hz screen, edp cable, perhaps cpu upgrade 4710 =:> ?
    Im not into overclocking, just a decent upgrade from what it is now.
    I was also eyeing selling the ranger and going clevo but I really like ranger a lot better (looks and feel) then anything out there.

3. nazbadat

nazbadat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you want to get the right panel, must be the D02 revision (https://www.ebay.com/itm/183692600507), the right eDP cable (https://www.waresphere.com/store/lcd-lvds-cable-dell-alienware-m17-r5-dc02c004000-n392w.html), the 4710MQ (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-l...994551?hash=item44421d5477:g:fOEAAOSwdAJdPIxn) and the 980M on top of that you may be looking at around 400-500 USD getting it all upgraded. Not sure why the listing for the 980M says its incompatible with the 3D screen but if you want to take that chance on chinese hardware then thats up to you! :)

4. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the 4710MQ, thought of upgrading that.
    Chinese hardware? Is there any other?

5. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Primate23

Primate23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Assistance required please! The MOBO in my ranger died a little while back, and I finally have my machine back after getting a replacement, however I have a couple of issues that I can't seem to get past.

1. The battery (which was fine before the mobo failure) appears to be stuck on 78% capacity and not charging, nor does the machine work without the adapter plugged in. The bios and diagnostics both say that the battery is detected and working fine.

2. The BIOS on my new board is stuck on version A09, none of the dell update utilities seem to be working however, I run the executable, the machine thinks for a second and then nothing happens...

any tips?

7. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    GTX 880m and earlier will support 3D. Any 9 or 10 series cards will not support 3D

After reading about 120 hz screen upgrade I am now aware why obviously the 980 is "Not compatible with 3D 120hz screen"

And also aware that I'm not interested in 3d infact=)

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its not compatible with 3D but will work fine with 120hz.

9. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a quick question, yesterday evening windows could not detect my second hard drive, I could see it in the bios but not in windows. So I disconnected it and connected it via usb and then put it back in and it worked again. Now the question is: is my HDD dying or could there be a problem with the ranger (sata port, adapter etc.)?
    I ask this because I was already planning to replace it with an SSD but I want to be sure there won't be the same problem.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My guess is your HDD is dying. A similar thing happened in my M18x. Some days the machine would recognize the drive and other days it wouldn't and then one day it stopped completely. I tried it in another machine and it wasn't detected.
    You can try the Dell pre-boot diagnostic. It may pick up an error.

uugui shi likes this.