*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah want to be careful removing the heatsink with the GPU still holstered.

Upgrading is a process, and more of a labor of love that CAN test you at times. But now you can get a standard size 1070 as opposed to the beginning with only the MSI 1070n which is non standard.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that's a bit of a bugger for testing whether or not the problem is that the GPU has died or not - because like TheReceiver says you can't boot using the iGPU when you have a 120Hz screen. Buying a whole new GPU and going through the bother of installing it just to check if that is the problem with your non-booting problem is a bit extreme! Does anyone know if Primate23's boot problems he described earlier are definitely due to GPU death, I thought it was likely, but wasn't sure?

If worst comes to worse I suppose you could buy that quadro version of the 660M that TheReceiver was talking about to test whether or not the GPU has died, but I don't know how much that would cost, and I also don't know if that's the right GPU for you to get in terms of compatibility. You could then follow TheReceiver's advice for a GTX 1070 GPU upgrade if it does indeed turn out that it is your GPU that is dead.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. Primate23

Primate23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alas, repair shop confirms motherboard is caput.

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, might be cheaper to get a replacement mobo than a new GPU! What you gonna do?

5. Primate23

Primate23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like I can get a new motherboard for under A$250, so I’m embarking on that adventure.

Can anyone recommend some good YouTube tear downs to follow? I’ve built desktops before, but never a laptop.

Also, should I do the GPU concurrently? Or get the new mobo working with the stock 780 first?

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You will need to change some settings first before pascal will run (or likely to be the case) so I wouldnt do that until you get the motherboard running. Minimizing unknown variables is also probably for the better...

electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  7. nazbadat

nazbadat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody experienced backlight failures after replacing the panel on their Ranger? I can see the pixels when I shine a light through the display but the backlight won't come back on. I uninstalled my GPU drivers, ran a DDU, then the backlight comes back fine, but when I want to install the nVidia drivers it decides not to play ball.. Not sure what to do! Anyone had this problem before?

8. Jnobles

Jnobles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 on my R1 as well as swapped the OS drive to a Samsung 840 and moved the HDD to be a spare. Since I did a clean install I no longer have any of the AW programs like control center, and everything I’ve downloaded from dell hasn’t worked. I also ran a benchmark test that said my CPU is functioning at about the 8th percentile, and the GPU isn’t doing much (4900 and 770M). I was going to try and overclock it and try again, but can’t without control center. Any tips?

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    There is no need for control center to overclock, MSI AB can handle that along with ThrottleStop for CPU tuning.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Jnobles

Jnobles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Okay, I was able to find the right control center so at least I have that back up for controlling RGB. I’m going to try over clocking with MSI AB and ThrottleStop and see if my benchmarks improve any. Thanks

Edit: seems like any over clocking pretty much crashes it. Topped out at about 31 FPS and averaged in about the 20s

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019