*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Seyyed hasan

Seyyed hasan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not fair. I didn't try ram removing.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    To get under the palm rest you'll need to get a screwdriver, if that fails you still have options but the laptop will likely be down until you can reprogram it or send it to someone who can.

3. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have Alienware m17x R5 with 4800mq, 780m and 16GB RAM. Bios A14 (maybe unlock). OS: Windows 10 x64. Bios diagnostic test pass ok.
    I have problem with stability. When I run OCCT on CPU stress after 10-20 I got error, but not thermal. Also I test Intelburn test and it stop running after 1-3 minutes. When I run OCCT for GPU stress it run around 1 min normal but after that windows block that application it freeze and this happen every 10-15 sec. When I run this test on DX9 it was ok. I run also Unreal benchmark I after 2-3 minutes I got same error from windows that application has been blocked, after that it slows to 5-10 fps and crash again every 5 sec.

CPU and GPU has got new thermal paste. I tested more than 5 nvidia drivers and 2 instalations. Bios has been set do default. Fan was also set to maximum speed in speedfan, it is same in hwinfo. In XTU i test memory and stress test and everythink was ok. I swap CPU to 4810mq and same result.

Now I tested World of Warcraft for max settings and game not crash. Temperature on GPU was 83°C.

Please help me :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    83c?

Thats pretty high in my opinion.

5. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes I test it for max temerature, because it looks like overeating issue. After more than 10 years experience with repairing notebooks I am on dead point. Only thing I could do is reassembly whole notebook and test it after that. Motherboard looks fine, CPU is working in another notebook, GPU should be fine.

Edit: I take all four RAM modules out and put in one 8 GB module and now the CPU stress test does not exit with error. GPU stress test was also run normal. I will test all 4 modules in another laptop also all slot on MB alienware. :)

Edit 2: After more than 10 minutes it crashed again, but when I swap original RAM back it now runs geat. I think the problems is in slot. I must clean it. GPU crash after 20 minutes again. Now I clock it down -200core/-500 memory and after 15 minutes is ok.

Edit 3: I test GPU with -50core/-100memory and still crash. After that I install old invida driver 346 and look stable. What the hell is going on here. Why this is happen? I do not understant that.

For interest Dell K1100m works with 120Hz LCD, K3100m with HP vbios ends with beeping.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. xxiv24

xxiv24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello fellow Aliens,

Greetings from Malaysia. I am trying get my daughter board for Alienware 17 R1 (Ranger) repaired as one of the U.S.B port pins are damaged. It is a matter of getting the connector replaced. However, I am trying to determine if the port is USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. I am confused as the recent classification has renamed USB 3.0 as USB 3.1 (5GPS) (Superspeed) and USB 3.2 (10GPS) (Superspeed +)

I need to purchase the connectors and I do not want to get the wrong ones. I do not wish to totally rely on the person selling the part and end up getting something that was not originally meant for the system.

Hope someone can guide me on this. Cheers.

7. nazbadat

nazbadat Newbie

Reputations:
    I think you're looking for part number N1DX7 or WH486

8. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is the slowest USB 3.x speed, 5Gbps