*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. nazbadat

nazbadat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! If any of you are thinking of upgrading your GPU/CPU or are in the market for improving your thermal performance I found a vendor in china who fabricates all copper heatsinks with extra heatpipes for both CPU and GPU! I recently upgraded my old 880m to 1060 and my temperature never stray past 68C when running games at full tilt!

The fit of these into your chassis will be a little tight initially, but it definitely doesn't require any extensive modifications. The quality is top knotch on these; much thicker baseplate and you can feel the weight difference in comparison to the OEM ones.

Its a touch pricey if you ask me, but I felt that it was worth it especially if paying a premium for an MXM upgrade.

CPU All Copper Heatsink w/ 4 Heatpipes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Heats-Fo...543542?hash=item3acd6c81b6:g:jSAAAOSw8HBZMWj2

GPU All Copper Heatsink w/ 5 Heatpipes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Heats-for-DELL-ALIENWARE-17-RANGER-M17X-R5-R6-P18E-GPU-HEATSINK-0N3P1N-0YP26V/252506661856?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=7ca96efb3bbd42b5b3ff018553686aa8&pid=100040&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=252506661856&itm=252506661856&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

Shipping will of course vary depending on where you are delivering to, I got mine delivered to the UK within a two week period so ymmv.

Happy thermals!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yep we have been using those for a bit now, gpu is great but the cpu does have some QC issues according to some users here.

I have had both and will likely be asking for a custom replacement this time around. I would prefer 4 flat pipes instead of stacked, got some plans in the future with the use of the 4930mx

3. nightEnd

nightEnd Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again guys.
    So my last (and first post) was about replacing my 880m with my 970m on the ranger r1. Things went fine and smoothly, with the drivers being installed and using it in windows 10. Something happened though after a week or so where the laptop shut itself off when i was playing Sekiro and the charger cable light went out. Forgetful dumb ass me decided to plug it again like what happened last time right before i replaced the mobo and graphics card when it still had the 880 and i heard a small sound, but my laptop managed to boot up and still my card works with no stuttering (i tried some fifa and some other light gaming programs, even dota). Thought the crack sound was something coming from outside because in my defence i didnt even try overclocking or messing with any of the voltages with the new card. Then i decided to open my chassis and found this on the back side. https://imgur.com/a/qs6gU5g

For now, i am financially hampered and cant afford another replacement in the mean time. Do you guys think that i should just play it safe, not use it (or try to repair it myself, but i have no experience with soldering or logic board repair) just buy a new replacement in the future, still use it as it might be a small issue, or do you guys think there is another underlying issue with my system? im using the 240w power supply that came along with the laptop originally still and made no mods to the system (well maybe one ssd addition but i dont think that counts)

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    If purchased via ebay then return it, refund and buy another when the chance comes up.

Though most 970m last I saw were 200 USD where the 1060 is like 340 - 300 USD. Or at least thats where I plan to sell mine at soon.

5. Seyyed hasan

Seyyed hasan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi. Sry I don't know where I can ask my question. I buy aw 17 r1 and change bios over clocking and now the laptop show black screen. What can I do ? I open the case cover and pull up CMOS battery and laptop battery and push them again , but nothing happens and black screen come again. Unfortunately the ram is on slot 1 or 2 not 3 or 4. How can I reset bios without dissemble PALM rest? Plz help me. I just bought it yesterday. Plz plz plz

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Pull battery and cmos and unplug AC adapter and hit the power button for a couple minutes.

7. Seyyed hasan

Reputations:
    But Someone said that I need to remove rams too for clear nvram!
    Does it work really? Push it several time or hold it for few minutes?

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I do both, that's what worked for me but you may need to remove ram as well. You will have to test it and find out

9. Seyyed hasan

Reputations:
  10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Then your going to need a screw driver.

If that doesn't work then it's likely you corrupted the bios and need to desolder the bios chip and reprogram it (reflash externally)