*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    A few new benchmarks from my old Alienware 17 (the last true AW17 from Dell's factory). @Ashtrix +++ all not mentioned, but not forgotten.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3843980_papusan_cinebench___r15_core_i7_4930mx_876_cb
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/3843983_papusan_superpi___1m_core_i7_4930mx_8sec_384ms
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/3844005_papusan_wprime___32m_core_i7_4930mx_5sec_280ms
    [​IMG]

BGABook,:no:TurdBook,:no:JokeBoo

Ashtrix and Vistar Shook like this.
  2. rrrsport

rrrsport Newbie

Reputations:
    help\

I have Alienware 17 Base, geforce GTX 780 with 4GB.
    Can I upgrade my graphics card to GTX 980M or higher

3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Heads up guys, on the mSATA we have in our machines. Samsung silently pushed an update to the 860 series mSATA, we now have Samsung 860 Evo 1TB option for $299 for this with 3D V-NAND 3-Bit MLC (Which is TLC) and MJX controller upgrade from MEX is a huge plus and the 600TBW unbeatable and world leading endurance is insane as well & warranty is at 5-Years, same. A tip - the new Samsung T5 drives they have 2TB mSATA drives in them. Custom made by Samsung you can try them if you want moar storage. BUT the controller is MGX which is power efficient and high latency vs the MEX in the 850 Evo. And the latest 860 packs the best with MJX.

Also I think after their new 860 Pro (4TB SATAIII is an option ;)) & 970 Pro refreshes (unfortunately no 2TB, still not worth the hassle for thee NVMe drives as they heat up pretty fast drop in perf and need passive cooling and not so much improved speeds over SATAIII except for OS boot) with 2-Bit MLC 3D V-NAND that would be the last of MLC technology as a whole simply because no competition and no one has an MLC drive anymore worthy to mention, a few couple of them are there but very old either or the perf, endurance and warranty cannot meet the same class. SanDisk Extreme Pro 960 is the last great MLC drive from SanDisk with 10YR warranty which pushed Samsung for 850 Pro to have the same 10Yr warranty, no more of that sweet warranty as WD bought them and they are heavily invested in BiCS 3D NAND technology (Co Developed with Toshiba) which is a TLC again but reliable and worth the price.

Here enjoy these video(s) too :D

Yes you can, check the unlocked BIOS thread. It has all the info you will ever need. Please take your time to read is slowly and do the upgrade. A heads up for you is to make sure which panel you are running the 120Hz or the 60Hz.

How to know which mode ?

- Use fn+f5 if it asks for a reboot it means you have 60Hz, Also another way is to go to device manager and see under display adapters if you see both Intel and Nvidia then it means 60Hz again ofc if you are running the Nvidia only mode then it will only show up as Nvidia. So the best way is fn+f5 which works from both the modes. (60Hz - Optimus, 120Hz - dGPU / PEG - which is only Nvidia GFX mode, preferably the best and only mode worth to use, unless you want battery backup)

And prepare the system for Full UEFI support as the Maxwell and future (Pascal) will need the BIOS settings from Legacy option and UEFI with Legacy (these are options 2 of 3) should be changed to UEFI only (3rd option of 3). Again please read that thread if you really don't want to miss anything on this machine as it has lots of information.

Update : As with the 970 series Samsung slashed the price off the mSATA as well to $270 now.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Nomad and Papusan like this.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I AW17 family! I've just finally 'upgrade' from win 8.1 to win10 and it was time for it :D

Do we have a Win10 driver order list thread somewhere? If we do I could not find it.

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    780m is now dead. Irritating since I had it at 56c load temp for practically the last 5 months.

Guess Ill have to look for a m6100 when I get some cash, should work well enough until I can get a WX7100.

6. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man... Sorry for u. I have a 880m and 980m. I'll send u a pm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

aconix likes this.