*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I bought this used, the keyboard works fine but some of the numpad keys wont lock back in and there is foxing around the corners. I just got it this way.

I just checked and my VRMs are not heatsinked. I tried adding the thinnest pads I had on hand and the temps go straight up to 100c even with an extra o-ring to force more pressure. I guess I probably have 1.0mm pads so when I get more cash again ill order some 0.5mm pads and try again.

I'd almost try thermal paste if I wasnt worried about conductivity or gravity. Not being able to overclock this machine was a bit of a bummer but I need to do more work overall to the cooling in general though. splicing a PWM switch, lapping heatsink (11c core variance is not cool), wiring in another fan, making another exhaust and lastly cooling the VRMs.

Lastly I need to get back in contact with an ebay seller about custom fabricating a heatsink and trying to get a net cost to sell. I want to know if he can manufacture a heatsink with two radiators, 4 uniform heatpipes, more mass via length and fin density in the main heatsink. Its why I want to add another fan to the then empty center HDD bay. Would definitely require more frame modding on our ends though.

I was waiting until I finished Java to do all these things but I failed the exam and moved to other courses so once again things are on hold...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    As I expected. 1mm is way too thick and it will bring the entire heatsink up. Try to find a very soft 0.5mm thermal pad (Preferably a generic pad as branded ones aren't as soft).
    11c core variance on LM? if you have such variance and not using LM, then go for the thickest paste possible IC diamond or the new one Fox recommends I don't remember its name.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah will do, when I got this machine the original heatsink didnt have thermal pads either so I didnt think much of it.

So I guess the main trivia would be to figure out how to properly cool the last VRM that isnt covered by the plate. I could use some copper mosfets easily enough but getting air over them is the tricky bit. Its mostly covered by the heatpipes above it.

How do you think stacking thermal pads to make contact with the heatpipes fair? Would it actually transfer or just heat soak?

4. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    I am doing something similar on the Clevo, I stacked thermal pads from the PCH all the way up to the keyboard (around 6mm) to use keyboard bottom plate as huge heatsink for the PCH. PCH temps dropped from 85c at full load to 60c. So, I don't see why your idea with the rouge VRM wouldn't work.

TheReciever likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll give it shot once I can move forward with that.

Now that we have had this conversation I feel stupid for assuming the configuration of the laptop as I got it was completely stock. I had been asking around on the forum here and there about it and now I feel bad considering how long I had been tinkering with desktops and laptops

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  6. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    When I personally sell something used I always tell the buyer all of the dark secrets of my tinkering so he would know what is going on. Some people are lazy though and just sell and let others figure out what is going on.

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I am of the same merit.

This ebay seller was probably the worst experience I ever had on ebay thus far. The 240w AC adapter died within minutes of playing siege then they would only pay me half the cost to replace it. Citing that they are just a storefront and not a repair service. Because thats a counter argument to responsibility I guess. I gave them negative review and they successfully had it removed by claiming I was extorting from them by hanging a positive review ransom. I got it reversed but I cant leave my feedback anymore because ebay is a stellar platform.

I was rather jaded about the whole affair after but I got the laptop I wanted so I dont know.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  8. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    The complete randomness of Ebay. I hate it :D

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    yeah, its why I fear large ticket items on their platform.

On the other hand. The replacement heatsinks, pads, LM, 120hz panel + assembly + cable, HDD interposer cable + cage all came quickly and in working order.

I still have my LVDS panel and monitor assembly and was thinking about getting one of those controller boards for it. Would make for a nice secondary display and would totally convince anyone coming to my pad that I am a Alienware fanboy lol.

I really only like the AW17 R1 though, anything else by Alienware misses one or more of my checkboxes that I cant fix like HDD capacity or I/O placement and type of keyboard. Its why I didnt get the R4

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  10. TheReciever

Reputations: