]]>

*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I got the CLEVO barebone brand new for super cheap, and I practically could put almost everything from my ranger in it. I also like the style of that particular machine (Not as flashy as the new ones) and Clevo P37xSM-A can take up to SLI 1070m :D and 120Hz beautiful LG edp panel.

If at any time you need parts for your ranger tell me, I may have it.

Papusan and Ashtrix like this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Anything wrong with the motherboard and how much you want for it?

I think the VRMs are damaged on mine since I cant overclock the CPU past 3.6Ghz, instantly hitting VRM thermal limits in TS/HWinfo

3. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    The motherboard used to act funny sometimes and refuse to boot unless I reset the bios and then it works fine sometimes for weeks or months and then out of the blue does it again and needs a reset again. So I wouldn't be comfortable selling that to someone, unless you want to buy it as defective, then I will see how much do defective motherboards run for.

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I wonder if I have the ability to transplant the VRMs lol

Hmm never did a vmod like they do on desktops GPU's

Any ideas if the system would oppose transplanting larger VRMs into the motherboard? Obviouly they are reading temperatures I guess and would have no idea if replacement VRMs would give that information to the system and thus cause automatic throttling because of it...

@Khenglish

Thinking khenglish might have better idea on this than I would...

5. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    I am not sure I have seen anyone who had VRM temp issues. did you check if they have proper contact with CPU heatsink? I remember they need 0.5mm thermal pads because for some reason DELL believes that the contact without pads is ok while it most certainly isn't.

TheReciever likes this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I believe I have pads but I will check the next time I open up the case.

Were talking about those 3 gray square boxes under the plate right? I always mix up the VRM and mosfets but if so I am leaning towards not having any in that location.

EDIT: I may want the keyboard if its in clean shape. The one thing on this one is film is wearing off and some of the keys are breaking. I wasnt concerned with that since I could replace later lol

7. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    yup the three square boxes, MOSFETs are a tad smaller. How can you break a keyboard :O

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I bought this used, the keyboard works fine but some of the numpad keys wont lock back in and there is foxing around the corners. I just got it this way.

I just checked and my VRMs are not heatsinked. I tried adding the thinnest pads I had on hand and the temps go straight up to 100c even with an extra o-ring to force more pressure. I guess I probably have 1.0mm pads so when I get more cash again ill order some 0.5mm pads and try again.

I'd almost try thermal paste if I wasnt worried about conductivity or gravity. Not being able to overclock this machine was a bit of a bummer but I need to do more work overall to the cooling in general though. splicing a PWM switch, lapping heatsink (11c core variance is not cool), wiring in another fan, making another exhaust and lastly cooling the VRMs.

Lastly I need to get back in contact with an ebay seller about custom fabricating a heatsink and trying to get a net cost to sell. I want to know if he can manufacture a heatsink with two radiators, 4 uniform heatpipes, more mass via length and fin density in the main heatsink. Its why I want to add another fan to the then empty center HDD bay. Would definitely require more frame modding on our ends though.

I was waiting until I finished Java to do all these things but I failed the exam and moved to other courses so once again things are on hold...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    As I expected. 1mm is way too thick and it will bring the entire heatsink up. Try to find a very soft 0.5mm thermal pad (Preferably a generic pad as branded ones aren't as soft).
    11c core variance on LM? if you have such variance and not using LM, then go for the thickest paste possible IC diamond or the new one Fox recommends I don't remember its name.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah will do, when I got this machine the original heatsink didnt have thermal pads either so I didnt think much of it.

So I guess the main trivia would be to figure out how to properly cool the last VRM that isnt covered by the plate. I could use some copper mosfets easily enough but getting air over them is the tricky bit. Its mostly covered by the heatpipes above it.

How do you think stacking thermal pads to make contact with the heatpipes fair? Would it actually transfer or just heat soak?