*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Hey guys!

I installed the latest Intel ME and also updated the microcode to v22 (thanks again guys!)

However I when I try to install Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Platform driver for Extreme CPU it just outright fails.

Also I am not sure how to install the latest Intel ME interface from a bin file.

Any ideas guys?

I also tried overclocking again and still cant maintain 4.0Ghz at present, Im hoping it might be related to the above but who knows. (VRM Limit)

@Papusan @Striker1234 @Ashtrix

Striker1234 likes this.
  2. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DPTF is trash, with it you can choose only between 3 profiles (45, 55 and 65W) so very limiting, I prefer to use WindowsPowerManagement instead.

About your question, did you enabled it in bios? Because is another setting that doesn't work well wit OC settings in bios, so one or another

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    If I dont need it then Im fine with that as well.

I just reflashed the BIOS to the v22 microcode unlocked version. Only settings changed is disabled C states and Energy Efficient P states, lastly BD Prochot disabled

Also altered long and short power limits with 32767 and 128 values

I cant seem to hold anything over 3.6Ghz due to VRM limit even if my highest temperature is 80C or below. Im guessing it has to do with Package power, as anything above 50w will trip VRM limit and downclock to 3.0Ghz with .82v

I was hoping a missing driver was the cause, I guess not though?

EDIT: Just tripped VRM limit at 3.7Ghz with a 74C temperature :/

4. tranquil911

tranquil911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    firstly a big thanks to all involved in the recent leaps that the AW17 R1 continues to make!

Over the weekend i flashed my R1 with the unlocked bios (with the v22 microcode update + corrected the service tag). Its great to have way more control thanks to the extra options in the bios.

Possibly placebo effect but ive reduced the voltage by 0125mv needed for the 4900mq at 4ghz. Under high load it seems to be fine, only time will tell re idle/low load stability. (Edit use static/override voltage cos im a control freak)

Probably going to look at fan replacements next and possibly an XM cpu(im really hoping i can resist temptation on the later cos need is nill and want high!)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Good to hear man!

Yeah YMMV but on OCN and reddit they report anything from .01 to .04 reduction in voltage needed to sustain their clocks.

Sadly, this was no use to me as I still VRM throttle anything above 50w package power.

Can someone point out the VRMs for me? I want to know what I need to look at in modding a heatsink to fix these VRM temps.

Thanks!

6. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From what I can tell the VRMs are on the motherboard. Maybe you should consider a replacement motherboard as yours does not sound like it is functioning correctly. If not the motherboard then maybe another 4930mx. You should be able to get better clocks then you are getting. Also if you are using LM on the cpu in my experience it benefits the 4930mx in a 17r1 to use a bit extra then what usually would be recommended.

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah I have been thinking that as well, might just be a lemon board. The original OEM PSU died 1 minute into playing R6: Siege might have screwed something along the way. Maybe some of the VRMs died and its just running additional load off the leftovers but Im not electrician so I wont pretend to know for certain. I have been using Liquid metal since using the 4930mx. Improved temps quite a bit. idling with 30w package power temps are about 45c-47c

I still want to mod a heatsink to see how far I can take the 4930mx, even if its a lemon board or CPU I should still be able to reap the reward of improved heat displacement with this current setup or (if deemed needed) replaced components.

The methods I have been pondering mean modding the GPU heatsink as well to save the vertical space for additional fin arrays.

I would prefer to do all this while I am in the US so this will likely all take place within the next few months. Right now I am wrapping my BSIT degree, just a Java course left and its a real pain.

Are the VRMs the 3 gray boxes or the (iirc) 6 smaller black boxes north of the CPU?

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Without a photo it's hard to tell, but generally speaking; big, grey square with two pins = inductor and small, low-profile black square with eight pins = vrm. Well ... vrm or a lot of other possibilities, yet vrms can be distinguished from the rest by having 4 pins on one side jointly connected (check tracings on the pcb) and 1+3 connected at the opposite end. There's also more complex vrms, but the cpu will use multiple, simple single-purpose types, so six of them in the same general area would be a good indication.

You might also google the scribbles on the chip, of course.

9. tranquil911

tranquil911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Either the vrm's are faulty or it's drawing way more power than indicated. Are you running adaptive or static voltage?

If adaptive its potentially jumping all over the place - try static / override. In the bios set voltage type to override and use 1100 as the value then set the multipliers as 40 for each core. You probably won't need that much voltage due to the XM being better bin'd but it's a starting point.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I run static but I havent tried setting it in the BIOS. I believe 1.05v might be a good start but ill give it a shot.