*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have any recommendations for who could provide that service? It would be much easier if I just purchase the card and ship to them instead of creating more steps after the fact.

2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    @TheReciever Hi man, Greetings !

Pascal TDP tweaker thread is your friend for the mods on the GTX 1070 so far the options are Eurocom which will be coming soon or the Zotac 1070 both are same looking so need same modding the HS. I believe both are offering same performance, a bit of extra from the desktop 1060 at 15K FS GPU score and more if you can raise the TDP a bit more from 100W to 125W, BUT the MSI card is robust enough for that kind of stuff, if you want to mod the TDP like that you need extra MOSFETs on the 1070 Zotac chipset or Eurocom has updated design as you may already know from the mxm3.0b thread. AND Pascal vBIOS flashing ? That's not a way as of now you can thank Nvidia for that, Need external flasher PLUS a real vBIOS mod for that stuff. I don't think Prema will help you with that upon seeing the fiasco that had happened recently with his website going locked down. All his public mods are gone along with documentation sadly.

For the 120Hz model check this thread, ebay is your friend (Samsung LTN173HT02-D02 0GN36T + the eDP cable ) & for the Fans check this thread. ALSO the sBIOS unlocked will allow your HWinfo fan table to go custom RPMs like the M17x R4 for that you need an unlocked MX chip like 4930MX or 4940MX. & Yes ! The m18x PSU will be enough, I'm using it only, purchased from Dell.com

Regarding the hard mods for fans, check this thread if you haven't. I think you may already know what I wrote but still perhaps it might help you ?, I don't know much on custom cooling HS solutions you may consult - Striker / Eposaurus / Loafer & Woodz & yeah those ones you linked are great imo & @Nomad knows well too on Ranger.

Glad to see you are picking up this machine. Please document everything as you are another person who is going for full modding the Ranger. The last true socketed Alienware.

God Speed friend :vbthumbsup:

Nomad, aaronne, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    @Ashtrix

Way to summarize all my questions into one post on the modding scene, excellent! will rep.

One of the members in that thread, @thegh0sts had pushed the TDP up to 170w and I am hoping to recreate that in the Ranger, or at least push it to the max the platform will allow me to. Do you think 170w is achievable in this machine or is it simply too much for the MSI 1070 / Ranger to handle? I recall reading the MXM slot is supposed to be able to handle 191w but of course thats just the standard and not always put into practice. While I do have high hopes in the future in terms of overclocking I realize its a bit more of a rocky road compared to the older gen GPU's that I am used to. (755m / m5100)

As for modding, I've no problem using a dremel. :)

https://imgur.com/a/Twfbg

Modded my y510p for my physics project, worked nicely and I got great marks on my project. The excel spreadsheet attached is the before and after fan mod.

Man, the unlocked sBIOS is the gift that keeps giving. I wasnt aware that you could set fan tables with the unlocked bios. I plan to get the 4930mx first so I will be excited to not have to splice up cables for this. I was planning to some how make switches into the USB ports to make it clean but I knew that would present problems later when opening up the chassis for maintenance. Thank you again for all the info you provided. Its helping me source where I can get these things.

I may sit on the 780m for a bit. Since the 1070 will require a modded heatsink. I need to wrap up my IT degree in a couple months so I got to prioritize that but believe me my wallet is burning to get one. I've been speaking with woodz on sourcing a 1070 and hes been more than helpful, the perfect enabler! heh. That being said it will be easier to do all these things here in the US. I plan to leave for Japan later so I want to wrap up my experiments and have my machine solid before I do.

I would be more than happy to document everything that I do and post it up here. Its the least I can do to give back to the community that has helped me with my inquiries here.

Attached Files:

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's more about whether the power circuitry in the motherboard can provide the juice than the card itself being able to handle the increase.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Nomad and Ashtrix like this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I know this laptop came equipped with the 880m later in its life cycle but I can't seem to find the tdp for it. Notebook check states more than 100w I'll have to do more digging.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Here we go:)

Nomad, TheReciever and Ashtrix like this.
  7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    So not much change over the 780m consumption

I spent a little time looking to see if anyone with a Ranger had unlocked their vBIOS to get a reference of a 105w+ card running in the Ranger but no dice yet save for the 1070 which I suppose runs on 115w IIRC (MSI). Either I just havent found the keywords or just not documented.

The 1070 stock will still be better performance than anything I have owned previously but I still like to utilize the performance left on the table, especially if I know it exists.

Thanks for sharing! @Papusan

Papusan likes this.
  8. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I ran my 980m at 115w before with unlocked vBios ... Had the inductors near the power socket heat up like crazy ... Never done it again :D

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    With that you probably saved me from burning up a Ranger board. Ill just use it as is then, like I mentioned in my previous post its still going to be more powerful than anything owned previously be it desktop or laptop lol.

Ill just focus more on seeing how far I can take the 4930mx. If I can break some records with 4.5Ghz ill be more than satisfied!

+REP

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  10. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Better safe than sorry :D