*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    oh great, after installing the new ssd it won't even turn on.

EDIT: never mind - found i had disconnected a cable while taking off the top panel.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. bvermeul

bvermeul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just had my Alienware 17 develop a short.

It was repaired two weeks ago, because pressing on the palmrest while warm pressed the left arrow key. They replaced the top cover, and everything seemed to work ok, except the AlienFX complained it was turned off (red AlienFX eyes in the status area). Last week the laptop powered off while playing a game heavy on AlienFX, and after that the AlienFX lights didn't turn on at all (even the caps lock and hd lights), but the laptop booted ok. I could turn off AlienFX and turn it back on and that returned all lights.

This morning, the laptop shut off again with smoke coming out the back. Power brick turned off, laptop wouldn't turn on. Called Support, they asked me to check whether removing HD/RAM/Battery made the laptop able to be powered again. Once I removed the battery, I plugged in the power supply, at which point a component on the mainboard (on the edge between fan and wifi module, next to the fan connector there) vented smoke.

Called support back, now they're picking up my laptop; this surprised me somewhat, seeing how I paid for NBD support for 4 years, but according to the support agent they could send someone to replace the mainboard, but if that didn't help they couldn't send anyone else for 7 days.

So, I will be without a laptop for the next 6-11 days once it's picked up. Which is damn annoying, and not exactly what I thought I paid for.

Anyways, just venting. I'm not sure what caused this. I have a suspicion that the AlienFX module wasn't connected 100% correctly by the service engineer, but not sure.

Is there any way to test stuff like this once it comes back? Is there a test procedure to follow to check correct behaviour of things like AlienFX?

3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    CPU is running into the 70's and i can't tell what's doing it.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Idle speed?

5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can use Task Manager to montior your total CPU usage, as well as which Processes are using how much CPU power.

6. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm interested in the possible configuration of memory modules too; I'm currently watching 2 x 8gb for cheap and if they can both go on the 'easy' side I'll do it, but not if it involves fitting to the 'hard' side......

7. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It will run in dual channel mode as long as the sticks are installed in matching slots, so either both in the bottom or both in the top.

Ashtrix likes this.
  8. DaveFromGameaVision

DaveFromGameaVision Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good news guys, might have finally cracked the AW17 R1 fan speed limitation, turns out if you cut the PWM wire to the fan it will run at the full 5V all the time! It brings my CPU fan up to 5300 RPM!

I just put in an order for some more 12V switches and will be doing the GPU fan this week. I'm testing Prime95 performance right now to make sure the laptop is OK with having the PWM disconnected... here's hoping we finally got this fixed. :D

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    sounds great! please share when you get more test data.

10. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    That thing sounds like a jumbo jet taking off at 4,600 :D how does it sound at 5300 :eek:

I would love to do that on the GPU fan though