*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. toondw

toondw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's been a while since I configured a alienware laptop but is it just me or is the configure options in the UK pathetic? I am disappointed that you have to go up to a ridiculous price bracket to even start configuring with a blue ray for instance! I've been a alienware fan for a few years now but I think this time I'm going elsewhere, not even any discount codes around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So not a owner but posting in a owners thread, just trolling...

januszzbych likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't know anything about 8970M and I never remember seeing that GPU sold as an option, but when they released 7970M it was almost 9 months after the product release before AMD released a driver that functioned well with 7970M. Most were very unstable and required a great deal of tweaking. When I communicated with AMD Support about this about 6 months post-release their response was there was no stable driver available with proper support, no ETA on when they would have one, and it was the responsibility of the vendor that sold the system to provide suitable drivers for AMD hardware, LOL. I had been a fan of their video cards for many years, but upon hearing that lame response I realized that I might be done for good with the red cards. I lost all respect for them at that point because of it. Now they'll need to earn it back with a steady track record of good products and good support. I'm still waiting to see an example of that.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Slackers. :D

"It let's you start the game, that's good enough." - AMD

5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's The Way It's Meant to be Played!

6. toondw

toondw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd love to be a owner............I have a alienware desktop and just sold my alienware 14. When I got the 14 you could personalise it quite well on the dell uk site, but when I look at the 17 now, the options are poor. Just wondering if it's like this all over the world or just poor options in the UK.

I would like the blu ray but to get that in the uk you have no option but to go for the top model! And yes........maybe I should have posted in the config. Thread......too late now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Haha, I don't think there's any laws stopping you posting in this thread, I'm not an A17 Owner either! ;-) I think your post was valid, it's an important thing to consider & interesting to discuss the fact that the options for configuring are restrictive and push you to overpriced choices - it didn't used to be like this, they used to be more flexible!

toondw likes this.
  8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    then who writes the drivers for the AW 17? Alienware? i doubt it!

EDIT: if that's the case i might grab the low-end model and upgrade the GPU to a 780m and display to 1080p from 900p....8gb RAM should be plenty and easily upgradable later.

8GB is still plenty yeah?

9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    8GB is plenty for gaming. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Alienware don't write the drivers for their products! If you're going to upgrade the GPU yourself later, then I'd wait until the Maxwell GPUs are released, probably at the end of this year, where you may see nearly twice the performance of the current GPU's.

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can get AW laptops from other retailers than AW.com

Alienware Custom Built Gaming Laptops & Notebooks

Here in the states Power Notebooks has some of the best options, maybe they do overseas shipping, or have it shipped to a friend and have them ship it to you