*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. carjoch_831

carjoch_831 Newbie

Reputations:
    will i be able to get an extended warranty from dell if i decide to get a refurb. off ebay?l

2. bob_p

bob_p Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm using a Chromecast to wirelessly stream to an HDTV from Chromecast applications such as the Chrome browser, YouTube and Plex. I use Plex to stream video (Windows Media Center and downloaded videos) to the TV from my PC.

I've paired it with a travel router that supports both wired and wireless Internet connections, so that when I'm in a hotel, I can always set up a LAN for use with my AW17, Chromecast, Windows tablet, Nook and smartphone.

Chromecast is a better solution than WiDi (especially for $35) because it can stream not only from your PC but also directly from Internet sites such as YouTube, Netflix, ... And you can control the video streaming from your smartphone (I only need the PC running if I'm accessing the videos on my PC, otherwise the smartphone can start videos from other sources without the PC).

3. dragonwolf8504

dragonwolf8504 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depends on what gpu your coming from. If your coming from a GTX 770M or something like that, then yes. I don't have an Alienware anymore, but I did have one with the 770M. I bought a Sager Laptop and had it customized with the 8970M. I haven't looked back since. The 8970M is technically a slightly overclocked 7970M (8970 is clocked 50MHz higher), The R9 M290X is an exact on specs.

8970M- AMD Radeon HD 8970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

R9 M290X- AMD Radeon R9 M290X - NotebookCheck.net Tech

GTX 770M for comparison- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

I love the 8970M for it's price. (It was only $100 add-on for my order, compared to the GTX 780M at +$350 to add on. I probably don't even use the full power of the 8970M, so it was good for me. The R9 M290X would be a viable upgrade from a GTX 770M (I could tell the difference in some if not most of my games between the 2.) Note: both the R9 M290X and 8970M are a little below the 780M but for the price difference? I figured no brainer to me. The 4GB of VRAM isn't really needed unless your pushing past 1080p or driving multiple monitors. As most games may max at 2GB. (There are exceptions) But is great to have for the future. The 256-bit bandwidth will help for sure in making sure you can use all the 4GB down the road.

It ultimately depends on how much of a price difference between buying the 8970M/ R9 M290X and a GTX 780M is. Honestly you might be able to buy an 8970M (if they make it, I didn't check that) as it may be a little cheaper than buying the 'newer' R9 M290X. But ultimately, coming from a GTX 770/765/675M (I had laptops with each gpu in them) the 8970M/R9 M290X was a big performance jump and I would recommend it if you want to get it.

Notes: I HATE Rebrands as they can cause confusion. Be that as it may, it happens. You just got to research or ask around. Despite my knowledge of computers I still sometimes need to ask. It's all a part of learning something new! :D

4. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Depends on the amount of time that it has been without warranty and if you can do the transfer from the previous owner to you. You can ask for the service tag and put it on the DELL page, if you can extend it there. you will be able to do it later.

carjoch_831 likes this.
  5. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Depends on if you're looking at some systems being sold with NO Dell Warranty or Dell Warranty, but for the price of some of these refurb systems, it makes no sense to go with new or even used/open box. The prices are great. Seeing a loaded 4930mx basically gathering dust on eBay for 2899.99 is crazy.

I never buy new for just about anything anymore, especially computers now. I just wait for refurbs to show up and save an insane bundle.

6. Caseyy

Caseyy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone can help me here, but I bought the AW17 (£1750 config) on its release day and was wondering is there anyway to trade it in to upgrade to the AW18? Or would I have to sell it and just buy the Aw18, couldnt be bothered with selling it :/

Cheers

7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm coming off a desktop GPU, namely the GTX 770, and moving to a notebook because I'll be moving to Canada soon..like in a month and a desktop is just not viable and obtrusive because i'll be staying with relatives. I was content with the idea of grabbing the 770M and be done with it but as Alienware Canada have updated the specs for their 17-inch models they appear to no longer offer it as an option: only 765M or the 780M - the R9 M290X is not even a selectable option with only 1 model having it as a pre-selected option. But that model with the AMD GPU ticks all the boxes for mandatory specs for me (1080p, 16gb RAM, 17-inch display).

If I wanted the NVIDIA equivalent, i'd need to take the cheapest model and bump up the RAM to 16gb, GPU to a 780M, and the screen to 1080p from 900p and it would cost more than the AMD model.

That being said, I do have a month till my departure to look into and keep thinking so by march the specs could potentially change.

8. dragonwolf8504

dragonwolf8504 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I sent you a PM so I wouldn't de-rail the thread much.

Ultimately to get something equal to your Desktop GTX 770 it would be hard. It's roughly equal to a GTX 680 which outbeats just about every Mobile GPU, only exceptions seems to be if you went Crossfire or SLI. And with that you would need to do:

GeForce GTX 880M SLI
    GeForce GTX 780M SLI
    Radeon HD 8970M Crossfire/ If you found the R9 M290X Crossfired it would be here as well since it's just a rebrand.
    GeForce GTX 680M SLI
    Radeon HD 7970M Crossfire

Which depending on your budget, may not be able to happen, so as you've probably figured out, you may need to take a bump in performance. Which being said, your probably already even admitted to that and have accepted it.

All in all I wish you good luck in your search.

Don't hesitate to ask on here as I am sure I or someone else will be welling to help out or you can pm me.

9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm not looking for the 780M or the R9 M290X to out perform a desktop GPU: that's not realistic, though I am looking for a balance between graphical fidelity and fps - as long as it is able to get around 60fps on reasonable settings (not really the type to max everything out and watch the game chugg) then it's all good.

10. jadbox

jadbox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine today and have a question......It came with 8gb of ram 2 4gb sticks of the ddrl ram. I have a 8gb stick of the same speed ram but reg ddr should I throw it in an empty slot or will it mess it up?