*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Wongli

Wongli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    And how is the drive performing? HD Tune isn't 100% reliable depending on the setup of the machine.

3. Wongli

Wongli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is okay I guess. Not too sure as I dont know much about computers. Anyway I've retested it several times and it looks better now, so thanks anyway!

Can I also ask if the CD that came along with the other documents is actually a clean copy of Windows 7? I'm thinking of buying an SSD and want to transfer my OS onto it. Will the CD allow me to do a clean install on my new SSD?

4. pistol1

pistol1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    Spent the last 2 hours reading through threads because my AW17 arrives in 13 days.
    I wanted a laptop that would last more than 2 years and AW fits the bill. I opted for windows 7 ultimate as i'll be mainly using the machine to produce high quality virtual world 3D designs and i'll be networking with the other PC in my business.
    I have a couple of questions I was hoping could be cleared up on this forum.
    A. I know some systems are designed to work with specific operating systems. Will the fact I've chosen Windows7 effect the performance of machine?
    B. I've put the spec below to help, but should I have opted for the Boost 4GHz instead of the 3.7Ghz, will it really effect the system. The operator at Dell I spoke to said it wasn't really necessary. However, I have since noticed that that option is now not available so hazard a guess chip availability was the true reason. I also notice my chip is now not available and a new option has appeared in the form of the i7 4700 3.4GHz boost...... see link Alienware 17 Full HD Gaming Laptop Details | Dell UK. Anyways....What are your thoughts on the chip I have and can it be easily upgraded when/if I see fit.
    C. All previous laptops I've owned I've simply turned on, put the relevant software on and tapped away until the inevitable slow down and das kaput. Is the re-pasting of chip and replacing of heat tape really necessary on a new machine, and if so why don't dell do it properly in the first place on a machine costing well over £3200.00, I got mine down to £2733.49 that's £200.00 persuade to buy limited time discount and a further 10% off total negotiating with live online help guy.
    D. You will see I got the antivirus software Mcafee 36 month, which is good for me as I can cover machines in shop on this software. However, I noticed threads where people have not opted for this and gone for free AVG, why is this.

I can't wait to get the machine, I will do all the preliminary checks mentioned in the 'new arrival check lists' to ensure everything operating ok. As you all have figured out from the blurb above the inner workings of a computer have been bypassed in my IT lifespan. Re-pasting of chip is a concern if required.

No doubt you will be hearing a lot from me over the coming months so my apologies in advance.

Hope you can help, spec below
    210-AAPS Alienware 17 Base1 SR

203-41570 N00AW703 1 SR

338-BCHV 4th Generation Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Intel(R)Turbo Boost) 1 SR

391-BBEM 17.3 inch (439.42 mm) WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display 1 SR

340-ADEV Setup Instructions English1 SR

340-ABFJ English Shipping Docs 1 SR

340-ADEL Alienware 17 Anodized Aluminum1 SR

370-AANP 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz 1 SR

400-ACMY 1.5TB RAID 0 (2x750GB 7200RPM) + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching1 SR

429-AAFS Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW) 1 SR

430-XYFV Power DVD 9.6, 3D,V21 SR

450-AAJI 240W AC Adapter1 SR

451-BBCB 8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr) Battery 1 SR

470-AATE UK 250V Power Cord 1 SR

490-BBGQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 1 SR

555-BBES 5G WiFi Broadcom 4352 802.11n/ac and Bluetooth 4.01 SR

555-BBJK 5G WiFi Broadcom 4352 802.11n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0 driver1 SR

580-ABEE Internal UK/Irish (QWERTY) Keyboard1 SR

619-ACML Operating System : English Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (64 BIT) 1 SR

620-AANG Os Media : Included with your OS1 SR

658-BBNS System Software for Alienware M17xR1 1 SR 658-BBOF Additional Software 1 SR
    640-BBIN Alienware Avatar -Alienhead 3D 1 SR

650-AAGX McAfee LiveSafe 36 Month Subscription 1 SR

754-56825 Standard Service - 1 year of Next Business Day coverage included with your PC 1 SR

754-81457 INFO 1 Year NBD with Premium Phone Support1 SR

754-81460 4 Years NBD with Premium Phone Support1 SR

755-10609 4 years Accidental Damage Protection1 OS 800-BBEV Thank you for Choosing Dell1 SR

817-BBBC Not Selected in this Configuration5 SR

354-BBBB Anodized Aluminum1 SR

799-AAMQ Dell Order - United Kingdom1 SR

998-23882 Fixed Hardware Configuration 1 SR

P.s. If you see anything wrong with the system or a better option please let me know.

Thanks in advance

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, you can use the DVD's for installing WIndows (on any machine, it just needs the Win 7 Key thats either on the bottom of the machine or under the battery). I find the OS is plenty fast if you use an SSD for cashing though. Saves some effort. I put a 256 SSD in mine and allowed ~30 GB of it to be used as a cache.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1. Not exactly, but it does allow you to install more memory (RAM), which will in turn allow you to do more. So, yes and no.

2. The 4800MQ is a great processor. It's one step above the 4700MQ, which is also a great processor. You're not going to need anymore power than what the 4800MQ has to offer. I think it was a good choice. You can overclock it up to 200MHz more.

3. I'd re-paste the CPU and maybe the GPU, if the temperatures are warmer than usual. Around 90C under load for the CPU is okay, and about 80C under load for the GPU is okay. Anything higher and it's probably time for a re-paste.

4. Because it's free. AVG Free Anti-Virus does not protect you as well as the McAfee you purchased, but it is good enough for every day use. If you tend to travel or sit in a public area with your laptop, McAfee may protect you better as it has more features and notifications (alerts) than AVG does. The average user doesn't necessarily need anything more than AVG.

7. ImHokoo

ImHokoo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. pistol1

pistol1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, i'll have a look into it, still not sure why a re-paste could possible be required when machine brand new though? Any thoughts?

9. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Some people like to re-paste because sometimes the factory paste or paste job is not good. It's personal preference.

10. RomelloM

RomelloM Newbie

Reputations:
    So just a quick question. What type of performance should expect from the base model ($1449 i believe) AW 17 when gaming. I would just like to play BF4 above 30fps. And can I play TitianFall when released.