*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Wongli

Wongli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Just got my laptop today. Please let me know if my stress test scores are acceptable.

Alieneware 17, 4700mq, GTX 765m, 8gb RAM, 750gb HDD 7200rpm, 1600x1900 native screen.

PCMark 7 score: 3141
    3DMark 2013 score: 2526

Average temp for CPU: 73
    Average temp for GPU: 67

1) I feel that my PCMark score is a little low? I've heard that a lousy HDD seriously cripples the score, but from your experience, is that an acceptable score? I also had GPU-Z, HWMonitor and HWiNFO running while those tests were running; will they affect test scores?

2) During the 3DMark test, the Fire Strike combined test component yielded dismal results.
    Thanks in advance !

2. greatgulah

greatgulah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having a really strange problem. Turned off my laptop went to go back on it. Took ages for the screen to load I can get to the app screen but as soon as I click any other app tile or go to desktop the screen goes black and there's a flickering in the top left corner. It was fine 10 minutes ago.

I did try to install the new nvidia drivers earlier but the install failed. And 331.28 was still active.

Can't get to anything with out this. If I do click to open anything it crashes me back to log in.

Any ideas?

3. greatgulah

Reputations:
    And now this.. totally lost now..

[​IMG]

4. greatgulah

Reputations:
    Managed to restore from safe mode which in itself is different from other windows OS. No idea what went on. No driver issue and no malware so it must have just been a knickers in a twist moment. And as it did I panic and get mine in a twist :p

5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You did order the base model... You can't expect it to perform superbly in benchmarks and games. It looks fine to me. If you really want to push the 765M, grab a modded vBIOS off of TechInferno. An SSD will help with performance and overall speed of the laptop, in general. I recommend grabbing one, specifically a Samsung 840 EVO.

@Greatgulah: Try not to triple post. You can edit your previous posts. ;)

6. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, my SSD is unfortunately a 2.5" model too. By HDD caddy I meant a DVD drive replacement, if that makes sense. (I may have mixed up what that particular part is called)

7. Wongli

Reputations:
    Yup in the process of getting the exact model of SSD that you mention :) Anyway I do know that it's the base model, but I'm just wondering if the scores are okay for my model. I can't seem to find any review sites out there that tested the base model hence my post here to ask what you all think.

Thanks anyway !

8. J.Dre

Reputations:
  9. Wongli

Reputations:
    Nope I wont be looking into overclocking or anything. I'm just using this computer for League of Legends and school. Still in the process of downloading the game, hopefully it'll run well !

10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    It should handle that without a problem. It will only struggle with games like Battlefield 4. You'll have to lower settings a bit on those more demanding games.

I think you'll enjoy the system. :cool: