*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link, I may have to try one of those 3rd party apps... I'd prefer to use the one that is somewhere buried in my PC though, before I go messing around with others. My last resort will be using CMD powercfg to try to delete all battery settings.

2. Mana Cerace

Mana Cerace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I remember seeing the same option, and after a quick look around I found it by right-clicking the battery/charging icon in the tray. From there, the first option on top is called "desktop mode battery charge", with its own colored icon. Check if you still have it, it's definitely that one.

3. Mana Cerace

Mana Cerace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, Alienware-L_Porras.
    The support guy came yesterday with a replacement. Everything works, except the refurbished screen has at least two malfunctioning pixels. I know it's the luck of the draw, but it's still annoying considering the very early screen failure, which had no problems with pixels.
    Plus the plastic bezel that covers the front of the screen (the one with the 'ALIENWARE' sign at the bottom and the camera on top) seems to not fit properly after the guy put it back. It's bent in at least a couple of spots, as if the plastic was pulled too strongly.

I got a call from Dell asking if everything was ok, and I told them about the situation. Let's see if they can do something.

4. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Thats the first thing I tried... For some reason it's not there, but I eventually found the program in the Alienware On-Screen Display folder, and it is a runnable app called "Desktop" but for some reason I couldn't find it via the Win 8 search bar (Searching for "desktop" and "Desktop Mode" came up with nothing, and it won't attach to my Battery Icon in the system tray. Not the end of the world as long as I remember where it is this time ;)

5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm if shadowplay works on the mobile GPUs (600m and 700m) or is it a desktop only thing?

6. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm that one of the requirements for ShadowPlay is "GTX desktop GPU" and that my 765m will NOT run it. Same goes for streaming to a Shield - can't do it without a desktop GPU, even if a 780m is just a lower-clocked GTX770.

Sorry...

Side note - has anyone seen a HDD caddy for the new 17 yet? I've been thinking of grabbing one of the 5K1500s off of Amazon, and I'd rather add that to my storage than replace my current 750GB (or migrate to an mSATA)

7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ah cool, thanks for that! it's not a dealbreaker....probably just not enough grunt to do it.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Only for now. I can almost guarantee you that NVIDIA will make G-SYNC available on gaming laptops. When? No idea.

9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Assuming your 2nd HDD bay is empty (and your SSD is in the mSATA slot), the caddy will already be in there with the screws taped to it.

10. Wongli

Wongli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: