*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dannyritz

dannyritz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I'm planning on buying an Alienware 17 with the gtx770m graphics card. When I was at the checkout page I noticed in the detailed description that the power supply being shipped with it was 180 watts. I had come across this page when doing my research and it basically says that for an AW17 with a 770m a 240 watt supply is needed.

http://www.dell.com/support/trouble...icleIframeView?docid=536599&doclang=EN#Issue5

The 240 watt supply is a paid upgrade by Dell and is there on the accessories page when buying the laptop. I can't believe that Dell would ship a power supply lower than what is needed to power the laptop to its fullest requirements. Does this support page have wrong information? The configuration I am looking to buy is the stock 1949 dollar config with the i7 4700mq and the gtx 770m with a standard 7200 rpm 750gb hard drive.

Is anyone here using the same config? Is the 180 watt supply sufficient or should I buy the 240 watt model?

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you are buying a 17 with either a 770m or 780m, you will require the 240w PSU. The official Dell link you posted confirms the same. If the configuration tool is showing that it would ship with a 180w PSU, it has to be some error of sorts. You should not have to pay or upgrade something that is required for your machine to function correctly.

It might be worth a call to Dell/AW to confirm the error - they might be aware of it and confirm for you that your order would ship with the correct size PSU.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. dannyritz

dannyritz Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I just got off the phone with Alienware's customer service. They say that it should ship with a 240 watt adaptor, that its a mistake with the site. I hope it does. Did anyone who ordered it with a 770m get it with a 180 watt adaptor?

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 765M (65W card) & 770M (75W card) should come with the 180W adapter. The 780M (100W card) comes with the 240W adapter. If you plan to do overclocking, the 240W adapter is probably best for the 770M, and the 330W (AW 18) adapter is best for the 780M.

I don't think it's a mistake, but I did not order the 770M. I may be wrong. I'd get the 240W adapter either way. :thumbsup:

5. greatgulah

greatgulah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had that mate. My order got canceled now because of it. Had to reorder it because the UK site is crap and doesn't upgrade your psu if you upgrade your card I went for 780 and it was wrong when thy went to build it. So annoying.

6. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Senden

Senden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will add my question here as to avoid forum clutter.

Anyhow.. I'm about to agree to buy a m17x r4 laptop for a very good price. Comes with the fastest ivy bridge, 16gb ram 256gb SSD etc and all for £1100 which seems like a very good price by UK's expensive laptop standards. The only problem is is that the laptop is only about 9 months old and has already had it's mobo replaced by dell under warranty. Is that something that I should be concerned about or is the guy possibly just unlucky? Any problems I should look out for? Usually when the price of something sounds too good to be true, it usually is from my experience lol.

8. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From personal experience- the parts dell sends out as replacements do not have nearly the quality control of the ones that come direct from the factory, and sometimes have rather obvious defects. (how do you miss that the SYSTEM CLOCK is fubared, for god's sake?) Of course, if you are still covered under warranty for the foreseeable future this isn't really an issue - but I'd trust an Alienware that's never had a hardware issue a lot farther than one that had its problem 'fixed'. So make sure it has more than 3 months of warranty left.

Aside from that, the GPU is often the single most expensive part of the laptop. I'd rank them as 680m > 7970m > 660m > 675m, and there is a world of difference in there - and one far larger than what kind of CPU it has. 16GB of ram is considered by most to be more than adequate, and I can't recommend SSDs highly enough. (though I would purchase a large, spinning pile o' rust to complement it, a 1.5TB HDD for the r4 is still much cheaper than the 256GB SSD it includes now) As for the CPU, do you mean it's a 39** XM, or the locked 3820m? It may seem pedantic, but there's a several hundred dollar difference there, if I remember correctly. Not to mention a warranty difference, as I don't remember the r4 selling with unlocked CPUs... (and so it wouldn't be covered under warranty)

For everything else, I'll defer to those who actually owned an r4 - I'm just going off of memories of my r3 here.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  9. Senden

Senden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response and honesty, fortunately I haven't agreed to buy it just yet so will probably keep my options open. I can get an M18x for the same price without an SSD and slightly less RAM so might look at that instead.

10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You'll probably find that 180 watt may just about be enough for an overvolted & overclocked 770M combined with your CPU. My system, which is very similar consumes up to 160W when gaming at max overvolt & overclock. However, you won't be able to charge the battery & game at the same time, because charging the battery takes about 80W. So, if you want to charge the battery & game at the same time (160W + 80W), then you need a 240W power supply. It's always good to have the extra overhead in the power supply anyway, so it's not being fully stressed. Yep, definitely don't settle for the 180W brick (especially if it's not the standard spec).