*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, there are lots of different ways to skin a cat! Although, on reflection, I will say that I think the X method might be an easy way to put too much paste on, which is not good to have lots of Arctic Silver 5 leaking over the pins in your board, even if it is only slightly capacitive there is still a danger of damage. (Which wouldn't be so much of an issue with pastes that are neither conductive nor capacitive.)

2. jflax

jflax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well after the second repaste, I'm now at 1 C over stock GPU temps. Guess that's a small victory! :D :(

To top it all off I had to redo it one time inside since one of the washers that are supposed to be attached fell off one of the screws to the GPU heatsink and vanished into my computer. Spent 3 hours looking for it, removing hard drives, memory, the CPU heatsink (yay, another repaste). Glad I found it though, don't want to leave any pieces of metal in there.

I'm pretty much convinced it's a heatsink and/or fan issue and not so much my pasting method or technique (Went with small dot this time). Here's a picture of the heatsink after my last GPU pastejob from yesterday (descibed with pictures a couple of posts ago):

DSC_3202.JPG
    The paste was evenly spread out on the GPU, and it looks like the heatsink isn't connecting properly. The problem corner seems to be "Screw no 1" and it seems it won't go as far as the others even if the screw looks fine. I've been very careful not to damage or bend the heatsinks and I use the method J.Dre describes above, to slightly screw them on one by one until they don't go further.

Also I'm wondering about the GPU fan. Look at this gap in the picture below which was taped over when I got it and might need to be covered again. Wondering if the fan is in the wrong position? Have tried to screw it a bit less tightly to give it a more elevated position but that didn't help any. Does your GPU fans look the same when screwed on?
    GPUFAN.jpg

All in all the CPU fan and heatsink is much easier to work on. Fan and heatsink look properly aligned and sturdier screws.

Can't seem to get this one right and also can't be good messing around too much in there with all these fragile plastic connectors, screws and what not. At least I can play games again though. Small victory indeed.

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hmm, that doesn't look positioned right. The fan seems to be a little bit too far away from the heat sink.

I don't know why you're only seeing 1C less in temperatures, that seems unbelievable. Aftermarket paste should be, at minimum, 5-7C less than factory paste.

4. jflax

jflax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know, it doesn't look right, but the position isn't really easy to adjust once you've put the screws in. I'm wondering if the heat sink is too high up.

Yeah, this thing is driving me nuts. I tried some extensive BF4 testing and saw 88 degree max temps, much worse than before. Guess I have to redo it again.. sigh. Something is obviously wrong with the heatsink and fan there. I'm starting to wonder if the heatsink is too high up.

Probably should try to get new thermal pads as well..

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I think your assessment is correct, the heatsink is not sitting flat against the GPU core, which is why there is hardly any paste on the heatsink. That's the reason for your high temperatures too - if you've reported high temperatures (not checked back through posts). What you said about one of the screws not screwing all the way in is also hitting the nail on the head (almost a pun!). I think you could do with trying to work out what is preventing the heatsink from sitting flat on the GPU core, and if it's the screw you were talking about, then try to fix it somehow, or get Dell to replace your heatsink. The latter might be more effective, although it might be a fault in the X-bracket too, if one of the 'screw receptacles' is damaged & maybe not allowing for that screw to be screwed all the way down. Regardless, I think you've identified the cause of the problem, now for the solution!?

EDIT: Well done on your persistence, I would have been ridiculously infuriated by that lost loose metal part that disappeared in your laptop - you have patience!!

6. entreri0209

entreri0209 Newbie

Reputations:
    What is the thickness of the thermal pad on the gpu memory?

7. dabrit

dabrit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I've asked this before but I'll ask again as I got crickets last time. Is anyone else experiencing some strange kinda audio glitch sound combined with picture freezing for a second while playing games or watching video files. It seems to be happening to me a lot with my laptop. Thought maybe it was related to the overclock but my temps weren't anywhere near the threshold for the card, and besides I even gamed today with no overclock and I'm still getting the audio glitch sound. Any ideas on how to fix this?

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I don't have the Alienware 17, but the problem you're describing could be related to a DPC Latency issue, which can sometimes be caused by driver issues associated with one of your devices. You can measure DPC Latency using this little program, if the bars in the chart go red, then that means you've got a DPC Latency issue that needs tracking down, here's the link to the program:

DPC Latency Checker

That could be a start to diagnosing the problem. Also some useful tips at that link above on how to troubleshoot such issues once they're confirmed. (Run it in the background when doing the things that cause these dropouts in sound that you have - while gaming for instance).

dabrit likes this.
  9. greatgulah

greatgulah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check into my account to see if I've moved off pre preproduction. Order is cancelled!!!!!!

I didn't cancel it and I certainly haven't been contacted to say its been cancelled either!

Ridiculous!

10. greatgulah

greatgulah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I got to the bottom of my order cancellation.

An incompatibility on the UK site upgrading to the 780gtx card. They have the wrong part number for the power supply adaptor. Which doesn't become apparent until they are actually building your laptop. So I've just spoken to a sales guy who had now sorted that out.
    If it was known that the wrong part was being used why couldn't they just substitute it at the build point? I'm sure it would have been a simple case of picking the plug next to the one for the 770...