*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The easiest way is to move the steam folder containing your games to a different drive and then symlink it back to the correct position - which does not require redownloading. It just messes with Steam's space calculations ;)

2. temp00876

temp00876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @acerarchie, J.Dre, player2 - Thank you for the valuable comments. But yeah, I just wanted to make sure that optimus is running properly. Some games do not run at all (just loading halfway and crashes) when I'm using the latest drivers from the Nvidia site but run fine when using the Dell ones. It seems that optimus needs to be sacrificed for newer games to work. Oh well :)

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A lot of people here should also consider rollbacks before installing the latest graphics driver. From my experience, I've always found that rolling back to the stock driver than came with my PC and then updating was easiest and worked every time. I have no idea why, but it just did.

So, basically, when you get your AW PC, it should have 311.48. Update this to the latest WHQL driver available, and when the next driver is released, rollback to 311.48 and update to the latest again.

Don't ask why, it just works better for me that way. :p

4. Player2

Player2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had to roll back to 311.48 to install latest driver from invidia. As far as Optimus the first game I tried to play on my new 17 would only use integrated graphics and not the nvidia . Some games would use nvidia and some wouldn't . So I just turned dedicated graphics on and left it and everything works great . If ever I decide to use computer without cord I will turn it back off but my computer seems to act the same wether it's in dedicated or not . No fans run in dedicated mode unless I'm playing a game or doing a lot of stuff anyway.

5. Player2

Player2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for response . Yea that's what I was afraid of .

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just read a few posts recently that recommend the "Roll Back Driver" function in Device Manager for the NVidia Graphics Driver. I remember reading some time ago on the NVidia website (or in driver release notes) that they don't recommend using the "Roll Back Driver" function for going back to an older driver. If my memory serves me rightly, they recommend uninstalling in control panel and then installing the older driver, or using the "Clean Install" function within the NVidia driver setup program. For installing a newer version of NVidia drivers they recommend using Express Install or Clean Install, no need to manually remove older drivers beforehand. I always use the clean install option, as it is deemed to create the least amount of potential problems when installing graphics drivers.

EDIT: Yes, my memory served me correctly, this an excerpt from the latest Driver Release Notes:

Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers
    To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows
    rollback feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
    Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and
    then install the older driver using setup.exe.
    Uninstalling Drivers Using Device Manager is not Supported
    Issue
    On all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using
    the Windows Device Manager may not remove associated files or applications.
    Explanation
    Microsoft has confirmed that this behavior is by design. If you wish to uninstall the
    NVIDIA driver, it is recommended that you do so using Add and Remove programs.

7. archerarchie

archerarchie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    anyone here currently playing BF4 with the GTX 780m? what FPS do you usually get and on what settings? I'm currently playing on High settings and get around 60+FPS, however when I switch to ULTRA my FPS dips tp 35-55fps :(

8. arslanaj

arslanaj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a new alienware m17-R1 and do they have the factory wallpapers that came with it? I have lost mine and i desperately need them.

9. Mana Cerace

Mana Cerace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    arslanaj likes this.
  10. arslanaj

arslanaj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: