*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, that's right, in that chart I linked they're all desktop cards, but I know the 780M is better than the GTX 660 and as good as the GTX 680 if you flash a modified VBIOS and overclock to the same level as a GTX 680. A 780M is essentially a GTX 680 (same architecture & layout - same number of stream processors & same memory bus bit width), but with lower clocks, hence the need to just raise clocks to same level as GTX 680 to get GTX 680 performance. And the desktop GTX 680 is a mighty card!

2. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm currently running +125 core, +250 mem at stock voltages and it stays below 60C, so I should probably do that. Might even be able to reach GTX650Ti performance levels with a modded vBIOS, though the 128bit memory bus is going to be hard to get around.

3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yep, you're right, I think you understand your card well, the memory bus width is the biggest bottleneck of that card. Max out your memory overclock, and then see what your core can do. Your temperatures are awesome! Can you not get up to +135 on the core? That's the max limit on the current VBIOS you have. With a modded VBIOS I reckon you'd be able to hit 1100Mhz core no problem (but you'd need to raise the voltage a little to do that maybe, but no biggie if your temps are good).

EDIT: svl7 on tech inferno forums has done a modified VBIOS for 765M? (I'm not sure). To increase your confidence, I'm using his modified VBIOS for my GPU in my sig, best thing I've done to my laptop, awesome!

4. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Aaand thank you for the extra 10mhz - for some reason I thought +125 was the maximum and had stuck with that.

I really wish I could have gotten a 770m for the wider memory bus, but I couldn't convince the person I was dealing with for a replacement to let me pay for it. (current machine is a warranty replacement for my m17xr3, which had a nice string of motherboard and GPU issues/failures - and that might explain why I'll be avoiding modded vBIOSes for a bit longer)

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Haha, when you put it like that, the extra 10Mhz doesn't sound like much does it - because it's not! (Didn't really think about that when I posted!).

You did an excellent job negotiating your replacement of the R3 for what you have - that was a good deal. So, I can understand your reticence to get involved with heavy overclocking & modified VBIOS's (especially given the history of hardware failures you've had)! I guess I'm kind of cavalier about it, because I've never had such hardware failures, so I've always pushed the boundaries, while making sure temps are less than 90 degC - that's been my only criterion. The way I look at it, I don't want any free performance left on the table - I want it all! Also, on a practical level, Kepler GPU's take up to 1.18V (stock) on their core for some of the smaller chips like the 750M, so the silicon can handle it if the temperature & the overall power levels are within the MXM board max levels. This is what makes me confident with the overclocking of Kepler on these laptops. (Assuming max MXM board power levels are 100W, then this gives you a lot of headroom on voltage. My GPU doesn't consume much more than 85W overvolted & overclocked as it currently stands in my sig - measured/extrapolated with Watt Meter at electrical outlet). Therefore, your GPU has a lot of headroom for overclocking/overvolting too.

6. warlords

warlords Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, Just Thought I would let you know that my replacement Alienware 17 just arrived today with the 1080 screen, Its much better that the other by far and I love it.
    Dell got it to me in a little over a week and sent it next day business at no charge as well as no additional cost for the 1080 upgrade..
    Very happy and I am currently reinstalling programs so everyone have a great weekend, I know I will....

rednekcowboy and SteveMonk like this.
  7. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, I've been messing with the power settings trying to squeeze out as much battery life as I can, just because...and I found that there is a setting in there that limits your network while on battery. A lot of people here have been complaining about how slow their internet speed is, etc. and I thought maybe this could be the issue. It seems to have some sort of 'power saving' mode and basically cuts your internet speeds in half, or worse depending on what it is set to.

[​IMG]
    Just thought this information may be useful to some... I didn't know this was causing issues, I had always assumed it was the driver. When I changed it to "Maximum Performance," my internet speeds literally doubled.

Thermometer and alienwolf like this.
  8. karosuu

karosuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys is anyone tried to overclock the Nvidia 770 on the Alienware 17 and wich are the safe values You reach? Also what software do You recommend for that?

9. likeicare

likeicare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've just upgraded to Windows 8.1 recently. And after upgrading, my AlienFX is not working correctly. The light is changing colors and turning on and off randomly.
    When I open the command center, suddenly the lights works again but when I click on anything on the Command Center, this error appears.

03 Nov 2013 11-12-49 AM.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

10. temp00876

temp00876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone else used the 327.45 driver from the Dell website? I was planning on downgrading from 331.40 to 327.45.