*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mana Cerace

Mana Cerace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, it doesn't stop after a couple of minutes. I haven't noticed which one, though I'm assuming it's the GPU one based on this new bit of info that I learned today: if I launch Nvidia Inspector (which I got in an effort to get Sleeping Dogs to run without stuttering) after I quit the game, the fan immediately stops. It must be related to that software, then.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's about normal. I was seeing 93C from the Windows Experience Index, lol. A re-paste was necessary for me, and I'm glad I did it. The WEI now only takes it to like 71C, and gaming on max settings is about the same.

If you're planning to stress test any system, a re-paste is something you should consider either way. That's like putting Royal Purple in your car versus Walmart/Kroger oil - I would even go as far as saying it is necessary for extensive and intensive benchmarking or gaming.

For such expensive systems, I only want the best.

3. entreri0209

entreri0209 Newbie

Reputations:

I'm having the same problem, it's gpu fan and it's does stop after a couple of minutes after quitting game. It's started to happen after updating to the A05 bios.

4. entreri0209

entreri0209 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone updated to Windows 8.1 and not have any issues? And any recommendations if I should update or not considering no new drivers are out for 8.1 from Dell?

5. bob_p

bob_p Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've updated to 8.1 - and haven't had any major problems so far. Had to uninstall/reinstall a few items - but overall the upgrade went pretty smooth. The biggest issue is that the upgrade process tries to force you to use a Microsoft account for login if you've been using a local account. After upgrading a few systems, discovered that you can skip that portion of the upgrade - and avoid the hassle of automatically creating the Microsoft account and then manually deactivating it.

6. vortex127

vortex127 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will be looking to repaste but not confident enough to do it yet until I have watched more videos! If it ever gets to 90 while gaming I will definitely do it (I don't really benchmark or OC just wanted to see whether I had a good or bad factory paste)

7. SteveMonk

SteveMonk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ive just rang dell regarding warranty extension for my 17 from 1yr to 3yrs (couldn't afford to add it at the time of purchase) and the rep gave me a price of £528! I instantly told him that price was ludicrous and that I expected a slight rise over the price at purchase of the laptop but not double. I told him I was willing to pay £300 or as close too it as possible and he came back with £320 (two sentences got a £200 drop, they clearly have bags of room with these prices!)

This is my first AW laptop so I have no reference to how long the hardware lasts, other than what i read on the net. My question is this; is it worth the £320 to extend the warranty or is it money wasted. I understand a new CPU or GPU will set me back a pretty penny if they go pop but whats the likely hood of that happening in the next three years, going off your experience as past AW owners?

8. J.Dre

Reputations:
    It's definitely worth 320 EUR.

9. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Considering I only had my laptop 2 days and have to get a replacement, I would say the 320 is definitely worth it.

I got the 3 year normal warranty and 3 year accidental just to be safe.

FYI, got my order number for the replacement. Was ordered today and has an EDD of tomorrow.....lol like that is going to happen :p

10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    If anyone was wondering, the M17x sleeve fits the AW 17. :thumbsup: You can grab them for $8.99 on eBay (while supplies last).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you see me now?