*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. entreri0209

entreri0209 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had a similar problem where my cpu temp would reach 94c, didnt' want to risk it a void warranty and repaste myself, so i called dell and they sent a tech he repasted the cpu with mx-4 and replaced fan. didn't really solve my problems, temp would still rise up too high. so recently i redid the whole thing myself but cleaned every surface with arctic cleaner and purifier and repasted with ic diamond, and my cpu temp desn't go over 78c anymore. incase i would have messed up screwed up myself i would have blamed it on the tech!!!

Chimed likes this.
  2. Chimed

Chimed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did try to repaste before, however that didn't solve the problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find the best cooling paste as I wanted to get it done in the weekend and didn't have time to wait for mail order. Also my pasting job may not have been perfect (though I was quite pleased with how it looked today when the heat sink was removed). So it is possible that the cooling could be improved by a better pasting job, but I am not convinced that would solve this problem entirely. I can get the CPU to 100C in under 10 seconds, that is just not normal (with functional cooling).

I thought perhaps the CPU fan is not spinning fast enough and this might be something that could be resolved by replacing the motherboard. However I just tried Heaven while running HWiNFO64 and plotted my temps and fan speeds and they seem to be alright. The CPU fan actually spins 4500rpm while the CPU temp varies between 65C and 81C, over the same period the GPU fan spins at 3400 while the GPU temp varies between 73C and 78C. Considering this is a GPU heavy test this suggests that the CPU is running quite hot (for being stressed less) and the GPU temps are being kept under control rather well with lower fan speeds. Basically I agree with the consensus here, replacing the motherboard is unlikely to solve the problem. The repasting should help, but I would be surprised if that does it on it's own. My feeling is it's the processor. But I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow, I hope I'm wrong and the processor is fine and everything works, but I'm not too optimistic.

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's always better to do things yourself, and no, it won't void the warranty.

4. Chimed

Chimed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, that's very interesting. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of good cooling paste. I may try another repaste if things don't work out tomorrow.

5. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Before I have my little complaint about my new M17 I first want to say it is a great computer and I am really happy with it ........ but there are a couple of little design issues where I think Dell have gone backwards compared to the R4.

Firstly there is an issue with picking the computer up with one hand. The design of the hard plastic (I would be very surprised if it is aluminium) display backing is slippery and combined with the curves on the base means it is a bit unsecure picking the computer up one handed from the side. Like you would when you want to put it in a backpack.

Secondly the keyboard. The keyboard works great, feels good to use but the large surface area of each key means the adjacent key is really close. Now this is probably not an issue for those people who can type :) but for people like me who use the 'hunt and peck' method of typing I find I hit multiple keys a lot more often than I did with the R4.

And lastly the media keys and alien head power button have been replaced by 4 programmable keys and a vanilla power button that looks like ...... well I not sure what it looks like. It certainly does not look like an alienware power button. Now I know that some people will prefer the new set up but I don't. I really liked the media keys and the old alien head power button. It made the computer stand out from the crowd.

Ok. My grizzle is over :D

6. J.Dre

Reputations:
    I don't like how they got rid of the media keys and changed the power button either. I'm fine with the keyboard, but I thought the previous one was great too.

7. rinku777

rinku777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it okay that we update nvidia driver when we get new driver available notifications or its good to stick with dell website nvidia driver only.i have heard that nvidia site drivers may create issues.is it true.i need your help guys

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The type of thermal paste you use is not of the most importance, online reviews of many thermal compounds have shown that there is a spread of results over 3-5degC, so those would be the greatest temperature differences you could expect by going with an ultra high quality paste. The most important factor is how well you paste it up, the quality of the job you do. There are other factors though, it's possible that you could do a good paste job, but still get high temperatures if there's something wrong with the heatsink or mountings - it might be damaged or bent up in some way so it doesn't sit flush against the CPU.

9. J.Dre

Reputations:
    It's ok to do so, but I recommend staying away from Beta drivers, as these tend to have more issues.

10. Mana Cerace

Mana Cerace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm curious: have you guys attempted a screen calibration? Or are you happy with the default colors of the screen? It seems to me like it's too cold and blue-ish. I searched the forum but I've only come up with a Hungarian (lol) profile downloaded from a AW17 review.