*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. archerarchie

archerarchie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm guessing they followed page 40 of the instruction manual of the Alienware 17 which says "NOTE: The original thermal grease can be reused, if the original system board and heat sink are reinstalled together. If either the video card or the heat sink is replaced, use the thermal pad provided in the kit to make sure that thermal conductivity is achieved."

Though he did replace the heat sink as Chimed said. this is just simply bad practice on the technician's side.
    Chimed, I would suggest that you just repaste it yourself. it would be less of a headache for you if you just repaste.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's not good, not good at all... Don't ever believe anyone when they say it's good enough, because it isn't. The paste dries overtime and when you remove the heat sink it separates leaving holes and gaps which then leads to what you're now experiencing. You're lucky it didn't get fried... Always re-paste when you separate the heat sink from the CPU or GPU. If they ever come back, even if they say it's good enough, just tell them, "If you separate the heat sink from the GPU, I'd like you to re-paste it." And be sure to keep an eye on them to make sure they're doing so correctly.

As for the GPU reaching 80C during benchmarks, that is not unheard of and isn't something you need to be worried about. As long as it never exceeds 85C, you're fine. The factory paste seems to be made to last, as opposed to keeping temperatures low. Aftermarket paste generally lasts 12 - 18 months before it needs to be replaced. But anytime you notice a substantial increase in temperatures, it's always good idea to re-paste, no matter what paste you use.

EDIT: I re-pasted the CPU in my AW 17 two weeks after it arrived because it was reaching 91C during the Windows Experience Index test, which is high, and 93C during 3DMark 11. I decided to re-paste the CPU myself and the maximum temperature I saw during Windows Experience Index testing was 75C (most of the time it was less) and 80C during 3DMark 11, which is quite impressive.

archerarchie likes this.
  3. wewooo

wewooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone having issues on the Broadcom adapter after windows 8.1 update? I was playing Bad company 2(Does the same in Battlefield 3,COD:BO2, in warthunder I just get disconnected from the server) and it was fine but after 5-10 minutes players would just stop like I got disconnected then I would teleport back to where I was when it started, it's getting very annoying. If I can't fix I think a call to dell wont hurt.

4. warlords

warlords Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From earlier post- (Sent a Email to Dell regarding the upgrade option now available on their website, ask If anything could be done for purchasing a screen replacement upgrade, due to the option being now available just barely two weeks after receiving my Laptop..
    Doubt anything will come of it, but it doesn't hurt to ask... )

Guess what guys,
    Just received a call from Dell regarding the Email I sent Saturday ....
    They are going to build me a new system with the upgrade to a 1920x1080 screen..
    They are going to let me keep my present laptop until the new one is built and shipped, and then they will provide me with a return box to return the old one..
    I am very pleased with the service from dell..

SteveMonk likes this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haha, that's ridiculous, I don't even know what that technician was thinking, it's laughable, how he could not know that his botched replacement wouldn't give good results & then not even test it before leaving - it's unthinkable, it's negligent. Everyone knows who has ever done a repaste of their CPU that you have to clean off all the old paste first using isopropyl alcohol that doesn't leave any residue, then you repaste & install - I suggest you make sure Dell knows exactly what this guy did to your laptop.

6. Chimed

Chimed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After calling the helpdesk they told me they needed the technician's report before deciding on the next step and I would be called back later today to run some tests. So at 16:00 I got worried this would not happen today and I called the helpdesk. The person told me that I should just wait and they would call, probably tomorrow but it could take a week. I can't run tests at work while on the phone because my mobile has no reception and I work in a busy office, so I'd need to be home when they call. As I'm asking him what next day service means when it can take a week to get a phone call the line is cut. I was fuming, so much for service. I decided to call back and find out if they would need to run the tests while I was on the phone. This time I actually got someone helpful on the line and over the course of 45 minutes he made an appointment to replace the motherboard tomorrow. I tried to ask him to get the technician to bring a new processor too, in case the new motherboard didn't help, but he said he they couldn't arrange that. If the new motherboard doesn't help they'll take the whole laptop for diagnosis. It's not perfect, but at least my impression of Dell technical support has improved again.

I could try repasting the processor, but having already tried this once without solving the problem I'm not eager to try again. Lets see what a new motherboard brings... I will however be insisting that he repastes this time, thank you all for confirming that it really is crazy to leave the old past on when replacing a heat sink :)

I wonder if I should be concerned about the times the processor has hit 100C in terms of wear and tear. I would guess this has happened about 15 times by now (it took a while for me to figure out what was causing the problem). I'm also starting to wonder if I have any options in terms of demanding a replacement if the motherboard thing doesn't work out. I'm not eager to be without the laptop for a couple weeks or more while they run their diagnostics and try to fix the problem or to get the laptop back and find the problem still there. I've owned the machine for less than a month.

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Really don't know why they want to replace the motherboard if all you were having was CPU temperature issues (as well as slight concern over GPU temps). Were you having other issues too apart from those two I just mentioned? If you're just having CPU temp issues, then it's hopeless them replacing the motherboard, I can't see it helping!

8. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, the tech will probably also repaste the CPU when they replace the motherboard - and in doing so fix the problem. And seeing the skill of this particular tech... probably mess up something else. These things have more than a couple of parts to remove in the process of doing a motherboard replacement!

Chimed - make sure that your warranty is paid up for the next couple of years - I had run into a series of cooling problems (nonresponsive GPU fan, wrong replacement heatsink, bad paste job etc), repeatedly driving that poor thing over 100C. Several part replacements and too many hours on the phone later, I now have an Alienware 17 instead of a r3. Keep that in mind ;)

steviejones133 likes this.
  9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Replacing the Mobo is one of those things that Dell seem to do on any given opportunity. I guess that they think that if they replace that, it will cut down on future service calls which obviously can stack up in terms of cost to Dell - even though it sounds ludicrous, to Dell, it may be seen as cost effective to replace the board to prevent future issues that could relate to the MB. I highly doubt that the problem relates to a failing cpu.....hence perhaps the board swap.

Odd? - certainly sounds like they could do other troubleshooting first.....whatever they replace, as long as the issue gets resolved is all that matters I guess.....

10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yep, hopefully the motherboard & repasting of the CPU by the tech will work for him. I think I would repaste the CPU myself, quicker, easier, and possibly more effective! But, I've done CPU pasting before, so I can understand someone not wanting to do it if they're not familiar with these DIY jobs, and instead using the warranty service that you've rightly paid for.

steviejones133 and Dusk Star like this.