*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You'll be fine overclocking it, as long as you check your GPU temperatures while you're doing it. It doesn't affect your warranty, unless you flash a modded VBIOS to it, which will enable you to overclock more than the +135Mhz. You should be able to get +135Mhz easy, it would be the first thing I would try when I got the laptop (but that's just me!); well, after checking the temperatures at stock first.

2. jflax

jflax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Overclocking through Inspector / EVGA Precision / Afterburner doesn't do a thing for me sadly. Results are actually worse! :( No repaste and standard VBIOS for me though.. so far, but won't be able to keep my hands away most likely :)

Had some very positive results with the "GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver" released today. 3DMarks remains about the same, 7210. BUT I just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark:

With the last previous beta (331.xx - Can't remember the exact number) :

Ultra (with TressFX turned on) : 35 FPS avg.
    Ultra (without TressFX): 55 FPS avg.

Now with the latest patch released today:

Ultra (with TressFX turned on) : 41 FPS avg.
    Ultra (without TressFX): 61 FPS avg.

Can't comment on stability or such yet, but you guys are probably like me who views another 6 fps as gold, so it might be interesting to look into :)

3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    That's interesting the latest driver (331.58) didn't give me anymore fps than the previous beta (331.40): both 60fps without Tress FX on Ultimate Settings.

4. jflax

jflax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm.. That is odd. I'm sure I ran the same benchmark just a couple of days ago.

What's your 3dMarks11 score, just out of curiosity?

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    No, it's OK, I'm not saying you didn't get those figures you quoted; the difference might be due to us having different GPUs & maybe NVidia did an optimisation in the latest drivers that suits the 780M more than the 670MX - who knows! My 3DMark11 is in my sig: 6082 GPU score when I run it at 1006Mhz, when I run it at 1124Mhz then it's 6600 GPU score. The reason I get 60fps in Tomb Raider on max settings minus TressFX is because I only have the 1600x900 screen.

6. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With quickboot enabled, less than 5 seconds. (Crucial M4 256GB boot drive)

7. jflax

jflax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, I see! Impressive amount of power you've managed to get out of your rig! :)

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yes, I was quite surprised to get so much out of it! :) I think it's because it 'only' has 960 stream processors, so when pushed with a bit of voltage it can reach desktop style clocks without worrying power or thermal constraints.

9. Chimed

Chimed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ran Heaven again for two benchmarks in a row last night and the video card hit 80C. Still not extreme, but Furmark pushes the videocard harder. I'm not sure how hot other people's cards are getting. I'm going to try running Crysis 3 a while and see if I can expect issues under gaming and to see how the fps compares.

The guy from technical support came by and replaced the processor heatsink and fan. He took off the old heat sink, touched the paste and just started putting on the new heat sink?!?! I said, aren't you going to remove the old paste? He said, I checked it's fine and the heatsink has cooling paste underneath it... I didn't even see any cover come off the heat sink bottom to reveal this prepaste. Hmm... I figured he must have experience and he wouldn't do this if it wouldn't work. He put the laptop back together and told me those were the only two parts he had been given so someone would call to run the tests, but he was leaving. I asked if I needed to wait before running any heavy jobs and he said no no it's ready to go. So I ran a couple soft jobs and temperatures didn't look great quickly hitting 90C and then I ran a tough job and sure enough 100C and the laptop turned off. Great... Maybe it's the processor itself or maybe the new cooling paste job was so bad it negated any benefit of having a new heat sink and fan. I have been waiting for the call from tech support now for an hour now. I guess I'll call them. What an anticlimax. I thought I would be able to get on with some work finally.

10. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So let me get this straight--he took it completely apart and didn't replace the thermal paste?

Completely unacceptable. I would have insisted that he'd done so or leave the laptop disassembled as someone would be coming back to do so.....