*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. bob_p

bob_p Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Spent time today trying to determine if there's anything wrong with my Windows 8 Pro installation on my new AW 17 - and couldn't find any obvious problems.

When the system boots, it spends over 50 seconds displaying the ALIENWARE line plus logo, with the swirling circle - before entering going into the Windows login screen.

Can someone else with Windows 8 on an AW 17 confirm the amount of time you're seeing during boot? Is everyone seeing this long delay during boot? Or is this unusual - and others are seeing much shorter boot times (which I'm seeing on my other Windows 8 systems).

Thanks...

2. bob_p

bob_p Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Encountered another problem today... Was trying to do a backup to a USB 3.0 enclosure with a 2.5" HDD. This enclosure works fine on my other computers.

On the AW 17 - doesn't work. With the left side USB ports - the drive keeps connecting-reconnecting in Windows. The drive appears to connect to the right side ports - but stops responding after a few seconds.

This happens in Windows and in running standalone Acronis True Image (I was trying to do a backup to an external HDD).

Has anyone successfully used an external USB drive with their AW 17? If so - was it USB 2.0 or 3.0? And did it use the laptop power (over USB) or have its own power adapter?

And if anyone else has encountered this problem - were you able to solve it?

3. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using an external 3.5", powered 3TB USB 3.0 drive for backups, both on my r3 and my current 17 - no issues either backing up or restoring with that drive. Same goes for making bootable USB sticks.

As for issues... After updating to 8.1, I get the "Secure boot is not enabled" watermark if, you guessed it, I don't have secure boot enabled. Guess I get to find a shim to boot Grub :(. Aside from that, I've been having trouble with a Pandora client called Elpis since my update, but I doubt that's Alienware's fault. (I plan to debug it in VS once I find time)

4. agent_mulder

agent_mulder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got mine yesterday :) Upgrade from M15x. I started missing using M15x but worth an upgrade !!

[​IMG]

rednekcowboy and archerarchie like this.
  5. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where'd ya get the skin? I had asked a little while ago in this thread if anyone had used them. What's the durability like on the skins? My worry is that they will flake and peel and look like crap after a while....

6. warlords

warlords Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah that's one option, However there will be a restocking fee added on the cost of reordering another laptop which will make the upgrade far more expensive..
    Please note the current display is not bad by any means and I have a spare 23" 1080 Display that I currently hook it up to when I am at home...

7. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You are the one that brought it up... :p

I highly doubt that Dell will do anything on their own, other than drag it out long enough so that you are over the 21 day period so you have a decision to make.

8. bob_p

bob_p Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Suspect the problem could be with the portable HDD enclosure. Installed the HDD into the extra caddy inside the AW 17 and was able to run the stand alone backup fine. And this configuration is faster because it avoids USB anyway... Going to try 8.1 now - and see if that help my booting problem - otherwise will likely do a clean install.

9. Chimed

Chimed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So finally I finally received my Alienware 17 a couple weeks ago. It is quite a beast,780m, 4900mq, 32GB ram, 256msata SSD, 750GB HDD, blue ray and 120Hz screen. It was pricey too, 2790 euros after some discounts. First impressions were good, it's smaller that my previous laptop (Clevo d900f) the build quality is good. I'm not a big fan of whole lighting thing and the screen while clear is not great. Once it arrived I went through a few days of installation hell to get Debian working (with all the drivers) on the 256GB mstata and placing my 512GB SSD in the computer with Windows 8 pro (the laptop came with windows 8, since I already had windows 8 pro on my previous laptop). After all that I upgraded to windows 8.1 pro when it was released which again caused some further havoc (usb ports would only recognize my external keyboard after replugging it in).

Finally had everything running smoothly and boom in the middle of some heavy calculations the laptop turns off! No warning, nothing. First I suspected something was up with the Nvidia driver since I had just updated to windows 8.1. I rolled back from 331 to 327 and then to 310 (the dell driver), no change the problem was reproducable. I tried reinstalling the program it crashed in, also no joy. I had done similar work on the laptop before so I was sure it was a software issue. I thought about rolling back to windows 8 pro but decided to first run a bunch of diagnostics and read through the event logger, no clues.

Then I tried prime and found I could reproduce the problem. I checked the temps and sure enough, where they had been topping off at 95C they were now hitting 100C and causing the system to shutdown aargh! Having read that others were able to resolve their temperature issues by repasting I decided to give it a try and while the repaste was probably not perfect I did hope to see some improvement. The idle temps seem slightly lower by about 3-5C, but at peak use the cpu still hits 100C causing a shutdown... The graphics card cooler seems fine (67-75C in Heaven benchmark) and I didn't repaste that.

Unfortunately it's Sunday so I can't call, but tomorrow I'll be calling tech support and hopefully they will sort this out asap. At least I am able to work, as long as I don't do anything too cpu heavy, but this has been a real downer and cost hours of attempted debugging and stress. I guess I just got a faulty cooler or something, but the problem seems a bit too common for a laptop costing this much, how about some quality control Dell.

10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you 'Defragment & Optimise' your drives, that's what it's called in Windows 8? That's only applicable if your system drive is on a spinning hard drive - not applicable for an SSD.