*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah in my opinion this CPU is even a worse choice compared to a 7700HQ who can keep its clock at 3.4ghz steady without downclocking. Its only nice on paper...

2. Jzyftw

Jzyftw Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, an extra +-250$ for a CPU which can theoretically hold those clocks ... not sure you can call that a better choice.
    We still don't know much about this Intel Turbo Boost 2.0, and we don't even know if the 17R5 cooling system can handle it.
    Until now, the only thing I saw was a 17R5 repasted with Kryonaut throttling back to 800MHz and reaching 99°C in-game.
    IMO, Dell should've at least listed the 8850H as a possible choice.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    8850H base clock is 2.2 ghz. Exceed TDP after 28 seconds and you're running at 2.2 ghz. We will see if it will be easier for an 8850H to maintain its 6 core turbo multiplier than a 7700HQ, or if you will have to undervolt it to stop it from throttling to 2.2 ghz from TDP limit.

The 8950HK is just a 6 core 7820HK. Technically since the 8950HK comes from the same dies as the 8700K, just failed LGA bins mean they are worse quality, it should have higher maximum overclocks slightly than 7850HK, if you can keep it cool. And most likely you won't be able to.

Rei Fukai and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The thermal velocity boost can be disabled in advanced bios menus completely, making it identical to a 6 core 7820HK. But accessing those menus can be a problem. One TVP option has to be disabled already just to allow manual multiplier adjustment higher than max turbo multiplier.

tvb.jpg

Vistar Shook and Jzyftw like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel doesn’t inform about all cores Turbo boost anymore. Only max boost and base clocks for ALL their chips. Mentioned everywhere on the web last year when they pushed out their new HEDT processors.
    You pay the extra for the new Intel feature “Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB)”.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. Jzyftw

Jzyftw Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks @Papusan , I couldn't find this ! I was looking for "Terminal Velocity Boost" :D

sweepersc2, Falkentyne and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, Intel use nice language for this brand new ‘mobile” i9 BGA Scammers feature.

8. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it is really necessary to spam every new thread with your ,,i dont like BGA,, posts? Everyone knows that u dont like BGA... but not all of us want a bulky, plastic clevo ;) so buy your clevo... thats ok... and let us buy BGA Notebooks ok? Nobody forces you to buy the new alienwares

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    JTOverath, IXVIXXII and mexeratalayme like this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thats the problem with intel, also for their desktop cpu's by the way. Problem of having no competitor on the market. Amd isnt pushing enough.

10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have gone ahead and ordered an Alienware 17 R5 with i9-8950HK, UHD, 32GB 2666MHz, and the GTX 1080. Expecting it next month, although was ordered 10 days ago.

However I am now considering pros and cons:

1)
    Cons: It is a brand new design - it may have faults that need ironing out and it's never clever to buy version 1.0 of anything.
    Pros: On the other hand it is not really a new design, it is R5 and there have been many improvements to the previous versions.

2)
    Cons: The Intel CPUs are new and untested inside the laptop frames
    Pros: But they have been tested in other chassis so not really "untested" as such

3)
    Cons: the GTX-1080 is powerful but a bit "old" now - is a new series just around the corner? And will the Geforce 10 series prices drop as soon as the announcement is made?
    Pros: the 1080 is very powerful and should offer me a few years of gaming, considering my current laptop uses the GTX-970M and was purchased in 2014.

4)
    Cons: Have Dell botched it with the new cooling fans and tech and will the laptop run hot (and throttle) ?
    Pros: Got to have faith in Dell not having made a terrible design mistake and trust in the warranty to return it if it keeps throttling under "normal" use. Like games. It is a Gaming laptop after all.