*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In the past Alienwares where producted by Clevo, they never produced it "themselves". They still make the designs just as they did back in the days. Now it is Compal manufacturings the machines though.

raz8020 and oSChakal like this.
  2. oSChakal

oSChakal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, because of you TIL!

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it is too late, he has not returned his machine, he cannot have a refund and has to stick with it, so you guys telling him to go buy an MSI, and where from, is not terribly constructive.

Also I have noticed a lot of anger and vile against Dell, vitriolic comments, I am not sure where it stems from, but just in case, we are on the Dell Alienware forum. I could also go over to MSI and start blasting the MSIs too, plenty of people with problems there too and they also overheat. My Clevo is a pile of cheap plastic compared to the Dell and to the Apple. I am sure not going to go to the Clevo forums and start thrashing Clevos. The MacBook Pro and the Dell XPS 15 are the sleekest machines I have ever seen - Dell XPS 15 with 4K touch screen, amazing, but again I will not go to other forums blasting their crappy screens and yards of plastic.

As a suggestion, an idea I have had for a while, a desktop monitor at 19"-24" sits 15cm over the desk, and that would be a perfect "height" for a desktop inside a mini-ITX case with full length GTX 1080 and would be perfect solution for portability, heat, noise and performance. Big laptops weigh around 4kg-5kg plus an external adapter at 500g or more. I think some clever enterpreneur should come up with a small mini-ITX case fitted with a folding screen like a laptop, basically get a 22"-24" and stick a hinge at the bottom! And there you have a "portable" if not "laptop" that beats the cr*p out of any laptop. All you need is a slim and modded mini-ITX case with a large hinge to take a standard 24" monitor (throw the monitor base out). I am not sure of the exact dimensions but if it fits inside cabin luggage you are laughing. And it should cost 1/2 the price of any laptop.

4. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Papusan I am still waiting for your review of the logs. Are you going to give me one?

Doofus it looks more or less like an advertisement. If MSIs are so good or not I cannot tell. And I do not blame them for blaming Dell. They are full of scrap. While I was within the 14 days, the same Dell tech said that my machine is ok. After 14 days he realised I should replace the heatsink and pay for better thermal paste. But if the problem still exists I will go on fighting.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    oSChakal likes this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too late now, I know, but I would not pay so much credence to what a technician has to say. In my case the team offered me a replacement heatsink/cooling solution and they were 100% confident it would fix the issue. I declined. Then they offered me a full replacement laptop which they ordered for me. I would be able to keep both laptops until a moment of my choosing and then I'd call them to come collect the old one. I would not even have to leave my front door! This is service. I then changed my mind and cancelled the new order because I wanted a straight refund within the 14-days. Finally, I called them today and wasted 30 minutes being pushed from person to person with a simple question, have you improved the heatsink and if I order today, what heatsink will I get, because I definitely want Aristotelhs2060's heatsink (ok, I did not say the last bit). After 30 minutes they verified that the heatsink part number of my original order is the same as the heatsink part number of a new order, in other words the heatsink has not changed. From that I deduce they may have had a batch of badly made heatsinks but the part number has not changed or they may have had assembly problems at the factory and whoever was responsible has been sacked (or put to death as is common in some countries).

6. oSChakal

oSChakal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I honestly don't know what you're trying to stir with your post, we perfectly know we're on the Alienware forum, the name of the thread is even called Alienware.

Why are we suggesting MSI? BECAUSE HE ASKED FOR AN ALTERNATIVE.

Now, regarding the why Alienware/Dell receive alot of hate; because it's well known and documented that the QC of Dell and Alienware is mediocre at best. Alienware also get alot of heat because their heatsink design has been problematic in the 17R4 and 15R3 series yet, they didn't really change anything and used the same not so good design on a more powerful CPU. Hell, even my 2018 15 R3 had heatsink/uneven core problem

You could also go over to MSI and Clevo forum and claim that the products are not so great and you would be right because most laptops that come straight out of factory Dell/MSI/Asus etc have problems. I had to pay 140$ on top of the 4k I had already paid to get my Clevo in a good working order.

Nobody here is blasting Alienware, but denying that there's problems by claiming other companies also have problems is fallacious and there's nothing wrong with pointing out problems.

raz8020 and Niarus like this.
  7. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Doofus, I do not think the heatsink is any different. I never said it has a different part number or anything. In fact I am almost sure it is exactly the same. Just new.

8. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I dont want to get involved with the whole MSI vs Dell arguement but what I will say regarding the heat sink (and i read it somewhere on this board) was there were minor differences where there wasnt adequate contact allowing for the heat be transferred from CPU/GPU. Obviously the tripod design has been criticised but @doofus99 ... Im sure there are some issues with ordering and parts seeing as im in the UK too and when my Black chassis 15R4 arrived and I called them they did say that it was meant to be silver as black is only available in the US. I kept it anyway.... until i returned it because of temps :)

im typing this on my XPS from 2012 which is still is still going strong on its 2nd gen i7 and ddr3 ram. Dell do have good customer service in the UK. The US is a different market because it seems theres much more variety and brand customer support.

Either way - i'll probably order my laptop again as discussed before and just wait until a few things settle down. Spending that much money on a laptop (as mentioned in this thread) - it should work right straight out of the box. Thats what made me return mine but dell customer support have been really good dealing with everything.

These processors do spike and run hotter - higher temps are going to be there - it just seems alienware are a little higher than others (the MSI reviews on youtube seem to hit high 80's and low 90's instead of around 100). That being said - theyre going to put the i9 in the new XPS which has fewer heat pipes and is a lot thinner!

With regards to the temp - even if just for a second and within normal limits - components adjacent to the CPU and GPU must recieve some thermal influence which would be concerning. (thats an uneducated assumption). I hope it works out tho. Im tired of running games at 720p and wanted the alienware as a treat - guess i'll wait a bit longer.

raz8020 and oSChakal like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    From Clevo P870Tm. Not even fixed thermals. Aka stock. Cpu heatsink remove 143w Cpu package Power.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You could push +100w from oc'd Mobile i7-920xm if you had the correct notebook chassis and firmware.
    The M17x was introduced as the first Alienware/Dell branded system. This launch also expanded Alienware’s global reach from 6 to 35 countries while supporting 17 different languages.
    See post above.
    Put it this way... I didn't like what I saw. More below 3.0GHz than above. Even if you increased the power limits and still run stock clocks, all you will get is same results. Thermals will still stop you from running higher clocks.

Edit. As you can see from this Aw17 R5 review. You can see cpu can at least hold 3.98GHz. It's clearly that yours run much hotter and with much lower clocks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  10. Hi11zone

Hi11zone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just order my 17x r5 for My Birthday, from hidevolution. I wanted to get the best paste and pads to avoid this heat issue that I have been seeing.

I will post pics of my temps when I get it![​IMG]

oSChakal and Donald@HIDevolution like this.