*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have heard good things about undervolting the GPU, that will probably be my next endeavor.
    HWiNFO64_2020-10-12_02-57-38.png
    My 1080 boosts to 1847 MHz as you can see here, but that's only when it's really needed. That's also when it pulls the full 180W. Usually it's around the base clock of 1400 MHz and it pulls off 60 FPS in most games fine at that speed. If you check this link you can see that the clocks were pushed up from the 1080 in the 17 R4 where the max was 1771 MHz after a BIOS update. So there is some factory OCing done for sure. You can try to OC with MSI Afterburner, but as it's already OCed there's not a ton of headroom. Most people start seeing visual artifacting pretty quickly.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1070.jpg
    Same for my 1070 it only boost to 1898MHz for limited amount of time but if im not mistaken under full load and pulling 120W it stays around 1797MHz but i will do some further testing to confirm that. I thought that 1080 will have higher clock rates. Ill probably have 60 fps on many games too but in my case i have QHD display and 120Hz refresh rate so i prefer to game in native resolution and 60 fps is not enough for me i would rather set medium settings and have fps closer to 100 something.

Update:
    Just realized that i probably was looking at wrong stat? What is the difference between "GPU clock" and "GPU video clock"? At "GPU video clock" it stays at 1695MHz as it says it can boost in specs :D

3. gorets555

gorets555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to buy R5. Will you recommend me this laptop? I want to buy with FHD ips display 60hz g-sync . Who has this version of the laptop? How does the display look?

Also is it possible to overclock that display?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    would be better with the 120Hz and 1440p IMHO. That can be overclocked to 144 Hz if you want for more competitive gaming.

Striker1234 likes this.
  5. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I do have this configuration. The screen is amazing. My first R5 was with 120Hz 1440p display. It is a common sense that 120Hz is better for gaming but I personally prefer the 4K screen. 60fps combined with 4K resolution should be enough for a human eye. In the end, for me this system is not only meant for gaming.

You can overclock the screen a bit but do not expect much of a difference.

6. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It depends on your preference and what you intend to do with the machine. To me 4k is too much because i prefer to game in native resolution but once i tried 120Hz i dont want to go back to 60Hz not only because of games but overall smoothness and scrolling is very noticeable.

I heard that you can overclock display but never got into that. How safe is that? You just create custom resolution and put 144? Does it depend on particular screen how far it can be overclocked or any 17 R5 display can go to 144Hz without any issues?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not all screens are created equal, but from 120 to 144, is smaller than 45 to 60Hz. It shouldn't be too hard on the display, but it's not a guarantee. Most screens will do 144 just fine (talking bout the 120Hz screens) but results may vary.

You can indeed just create a DSR resolution and set the desired Hz. I would test it first with the ufo tester before you go gaming.

abysabirah likes this.
  8. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just tried to overclock it and when i create custom resolution and put anything higher than 130Hz display goes crazy (testing on frameskiping on 130Hz goes well though). I guess my screen is not that overclockable :D.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. alienware17r5

alienware17r5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 Nvidia driver for Alienware 17 R5

Hello, my problem is:
    I want to install windows 8.1. The installation is successful, and the windows using the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver to my GTX 1070.
    Every time when I want to install the offical nvidia geforce driver (the version is not matters, tried a lot of them) the OS stuck in an infinite "freeze loop". If I move my mouse cursor sometimes shows, but 1-2 sec and gone. Mostly black screen. If I turn on the caps lock (the key led is on) same 1-2 sec and turning itself off. I have tried install the nvidia driver in pure windows install and tried install all the windows update and tried after that. None of those worked [​IMG]
    Someone has any idea what is going on? I know Dell officially only supports windows 10 and yes w10 is working fine, but I really want to use w8.1 if that possible somehow...
    I tried to install the drive in safe mode, the installation is successful and after I reboot (when the driver actually loads) the same freeze. :/
    My main OS is linux and everything is working fine on linux too.
    Any idea?

Maybe someone is here, who successfully installed w8 or w8.1 on Alienware 17 R5?
    Please let me know.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  10. Gelu Buftea

Gelu Buftea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody around London that can help me with repasting and setting up the R5 so I can unleash more? Currently running stable at 3.1ghz cpu and 1.7 gpu with ultra settings in any game I have and average 40-60fps but I know it can do more. Temps stay under 90 with a coolpad under. Any help would be appreciated