*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is your core clock dropping to 800Mhz.
    They mean a 800Mhz drop which freezes your machine. Yours just downclocks heavily.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes the count is still rising from 25! He's on Ryzen desktop and is eyeing Ryzen mobile chipsets.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I guess those drops are during load and not during standby right?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No it never drops under load it does that only when idling i guess this is one of the intel power saving technology.

5. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    800MHz drops during load is throttle. 800MHz drops during idle is not throttle and it is normal. So, I guess you do not have any problem. Throttlestop (with appropriate settings) is the only way to keep CPU frequencies high during idle (even with ultimate or high performance plan selected).

c69k likes this.
  6. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No i never had any performance issues. My only concern was that there is not enough cooling on other components other then CPU and GPU itself.

7. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    There is never enough cooling on gaming laptops. In addition, unlike desktops, the temps of many components cannot be detected. But, what matters is that you get sufficient performance on demanding tasks eg. gaming

8. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey folks, back here after a long time. My laptop started getting deathly hot so I repasted and repadded, along with optimizing my undervolt, and now it's running better than it ever has. If you're interested in the details:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/j0rs8m/alienware_17_r5_i98950hk_gtx_1080_oc_repaste/

I used Phobya NanoGrease Extreme (on @Papusan's recommendation!) and Thermal Grizzly Minus pads, and saw 5-10C improvements. Before, all cores would average 99C, now in the most intense games they don't go above 95 C and my sustained clocks are much higher.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  9. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Totally agree. This thing is a beast, I can play Horizon: Zero Dawn and pretty much everything else I throw at it at 1440p high/ultra at 60 FPS.

10. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good job. Hopefully it will last a long time.

Anyone tried to undervolt/overclock GPU on laptop? I know that 1080 caps at 180W and my 1070 maxes at 120W but after good paste job i couldnt bring it higher then 62C during games and under stress test. So im thinking if i have temps that low should i try to tweak settings and try to get more performance? It says in specs that for 1070 base clock is 1442MHz and boost clock 1645 MHz but it seems like it comes factory overclocked at alienware laptops as my particular GPU boosts to 1898 MHz. Anyone with experience and knowledge about this matter?

Vasudev likes this.