*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I found it, or at least I have found one/two burned components. It is the chokes near the GPU, which in the past I had measured to reach 105C ! Now I need to replace them, luckily only two pins to deal with. Maybe we need a larger choke there but there is no space under the heatsink. The left hand side one has burned, sizzled and smells (with legend PL8200 above it). I thought chokes were nearly indestructible.

Of course there could be many more components destroyed...

20200926_110613.jpg

c69k likes this.
  2. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you had thermal pad on them? With pad they shouldn't reach high temperatures. The thing with this components that you have to cool them properly but you cant measure their temperature with software so thermal pads need to be fitted perfectly. Just find a good professional to look into your laptop. I even have a video on youtube with my laptop getting troubleshoot and fixed.

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No pads over the chokes all around the motherboard. It was the only way to stop the 800MHz CPU throttles when playing GPU intensive games. However now the choke burned! My other laptop still works... Hoping it does not burn out too. I bought a bunch of chokes to replace them and see how it goes. There may well be other components damaged too.

4. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I probably know why you didn't put any pads on chokes. For my laptop those specific chokes were hardest ones to get correct pad even if i put 0.5 mm it was to thick at upper side and ok at lower side (so only about 40% of the surface was making contact with heatsink) so i think K5Pro is best solution in this case.

I think youve got drops to 800 because if you put pad on chokes it lifts up a heatsink a little and makes bad contact at other components but i guess those chokes still need to be cooled and as i said liquid pads is a pretty good option here.

5. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    and you wonder that your choke burned?

These chokes are part of Vmem power (GDDR power delivery) and of course they get hot under load. I've K5-Pro or thermal pads on all of my chokes, all (necessary) chokes. The notebook still runs perfectly, even with oc.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-heatsink.830268/page-7#post-10958253

Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, 2 years ago, when we all first got our AW17R5s, some of us got into great overheating issues, typically the CPU. The most difficult overheating issue to diagnose and sort out was/is the 800MHz CPU throttles. This is because there is no indication of overheating anywhere in XTU/hwinfo, both CPU and GPU cruising at 70C-80C, yet there are throttles with CPU dropping to 800MHz for a few minutes, back up to speed for a few more minutes, then back down to 800MHz and the cycle repeats.

I opened my laptops many times, repasted etc, and in the end by having it running open and on its side, I determined that those two VRMs were the cause of the 800MHz drops. They are obviously monitored by the CPU, but do not appear on any monitoring utility screen I have seen, and the user is not aware. With my temperature probe over them, they cycled between 95C and 105C, and these temps aligned perfectly with the 800MHz drops cycles every few minutes. At the time I posted numerous graphs from HWinfo to show the effect. At that point I realised that the chokes sitting very close next to those VRMs are also pushing their heat onto the VRMs making matters worse. I then removed the heat pads over the chokes, on the assumption that the chokes are really hardy, as resilient as plain resistors. By doing this operation I managed to eliminate the 800MHz throttles on my two laptops for over two years. Obviously I ended up burning one or two chokes (well technically my son playing games non stop), and maybe I have caused other damage elsewhere. But it is either this hack or back to the regular 800MHz throttles, which makes the laptop unusable. From my two laptops, one was very prone to the throttles, the other much better but not completely immune. It is obviously got to do with relative component tolerances and quality, CPU and GPU and other components. And there are (lucky) users that never experience these weird 800MHz throttles.

Anyway I have today received a bunch of those chokes, I hope I got the right part, I need to replace them and see if the motherboard will now work. Maybe the VRMs are also shot...

c69k likes this.
  7. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im not sure what kind of 800MHZ throttles you are talking about but in my case its only 1 second (maybe even less) throttle on one core at a time and that occurs only when idle. On full load it never happens and while gaming it happens occasionally on some core but it doesnt affect performance at all. For me finding the cause of this throttle is more that im afraid that something is not cooled properly and might affect something in the future but not something that makes laptop unusable.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The 800MHz throttle mess have followed the Alienware's since the release of their first BGA models in 2015. If you run into this then ask for a new machine/refund/replacement. The OP in the thread below got 25 replacements from Dell due this and similar problems. Bro @VICKYGAMEBOY is world recordholder in Notebook/MB rplacement.

Alienware 15 R1 CPU ISSUE *WARNING*

Maybe bro @Vasudev have the current replacement numbers.

Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are very lucky, you have never seen it... As I said earlier the CPU drops to 800MHz for a few minutes, goes back up to speed for a few more minutes, then down to 800MHz and so on. At the time when it is happening, both GPU and CPU are running at normal temps, below 80C. I have traced the problem to those two VRMs (PQ8200 PQ8201) cycling between 95C and 105C (used a digital thermometer).

I have had one cancellation (sent the unit back), bought 2 more laptops, got 3 total replacements, one machine, one keyboard, one heatsink!

10. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is what 800MHz drop looks like in my case:
    Untitled.jpg

Rei Fukai likes this.