*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What processor do you have? Trying to unlock locked BIOS settings (in this case blocked UV) is like a no go on laptops. Software cannot do it and BIOS modification is impossible.

2. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine is 8750h and Papusan just gave a link to a thread where people succeed returning UV option its just didn't work for me yet.

3. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can use the 330w PSU without any problems because all Dell PSU's (for AW) have 19.5V. You get an error message (when booting) if you're using a weaker PSU (240w > 180w) or an unknown (checking PSU-ID).
    You can damage your device if you use a PSU with a different voltage. My m15 (8750H, GTX 1060) which comes with a 180w PSU, works perfectly fine with a 330w PSU.

Attached Files:

• Bios.jpg
      Bios.jpg
      File size:
      216.9 KB
      Views:
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im not sure if the problem with your AC adapter maybe something wrong with your battery? 8750H is not overclockable and maximum power draw that i get from it is about 90W and 1070 power limited to 120W and its under 100% load stress tests. During the game CPU and GPU wont draw that much so maybe you should investigate more what causing your problem.
    Also i believe that 330W power unit is not cheap so you might be very disappointed if it wont fix your issue.

5. DESENTER

DESENTER Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for information Sk0b0ld.
    abysabirah
    , it is problem with my adapter maybe? or 90w CPU, 120GPU it is 210W, we have monitor,motherboard, SSD, keyboard, sound and and and..... All this components need power and 240W is not good maybe, for good work laptop need more.

6. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I dont know what causing your issues just make sure that your adapter causing it before replacing it. I have same CPU and GPU as you and 240W adapter and dont have any issues with battery.

7. uzb321

uzb321 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Made a mistake by updating bios to 1.11. Now undervolting is greyed out in throttlestop and it is just not working at all.
    No success yet with downgrading. Tried to rename 1.8.1 bios .exe file to bios_img.rcv, but bios recovery menu did not recognize it.
    Any suggestions?
    I am thinking about having physically unsoldered bios unit by master, taking it out, placing to specific hardware and flashing to 1.8.1 then solder it back to motherboard.

8. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please read couple of previous pages we've been discussing this issue and papusan gave the link with downgrade instructions. I was able to downgrade to 1.8.1 but undervolting is still not working. For me its greyed out in XTU but in throttlestop it is always there and you can change it but it wont change the actual voltage.

Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. uzb321

Reputations:
    Are you sure that you have downgraded not factory resetted bios settings?
    I dont have this kind of options on ctl+esc menu. I only have rom image not found and update denied thing.

10. uzb321

Reputations:
    It is about bios. Downgrade should work. I doubt that you indeed downgraded your 17 r5. Could you post a photo on bios settings with bios version?