*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Gelu Buftea

Gelu Buftea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am not sure I understand. Are you saying thermal paste on the vrams and vrms? No pads of any kind?

I managed to install the heatsinks on the 2 evos 970 1tb which helped with about 10C. Left the cpu stock at 2.9ghz, gpu max 1.5ghz with msi and temps are great, under 85 cpu and max 70 gpu. Unigine ultra settings plus prime 6 hours no crash. Open nfs and boom, crash, freeze. If I cap Fortnite to 60fps and low settings it runs fine. So definately is the little vrams and vrms. Just got kryonaut and conductonaut, waiting for a foam dam and next is the pads when and if I have time so next step reopen and redo everything. Fingers crossed

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have had throttles down to 800MHz when the VRMs went over 104C, but never crashes. I think there is something else rebooting your laptop and is not going to go away with liquid metal.

3. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:
    It runs fine everything up to the point where something gets really hot. It never crashes until the keyboard is burning. So something must really overheat and is not the gpu cpu pch or ssd. I am running out of ideas :(

4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And then it crashes? :) All our AW17R5 keyboards become very hot sometimes (up to 50C)

5. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:
    Exactly, I start playing and it only crashes after the keyboard is hot. Fortnite low details goes without crashes capped at 60fps but nfs payback is a lot heavier on the cpu and crashes even at low details with gpu always under 78-80c and cpu 85-91c. So it is either the cpu or some vrm or vrams. I got some thick paste now for the vrm and vrams, LM for cpu and kryonaut for the gpu. Fingers crossed and hope for a day off :)

c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:
    Finally, after 3 hours of cleaning repasting and trials I did it, conductonaut on the cpu, kryonaut on the gpu and k5pro almost 15grams instead of all the pads, and everything works like it should, nfs payback full details 1440p for 6 hours and fortnite epic details for 3 hours so far, absolutely no crashes or freezes, temps max 78 on cpu and 62 on the gpu. It is a beast now :)

Anyone affraid of doing the LM please do not be affraid, just some regular isolating tape around the cpu, one little blob of conductonaut, spread with the cotton pads provided and you are good to go. Even left the laptop on the side for half hour to make sure is ok before i closed the patient and done. Boom. Now i have a gaming laptop :) just before the 30xx series came out :)

DESENTER and c69k like this.
  7. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried using the graphics amplifier? Will it take and power an rtx 2070 super? Will it play to an external monitor too? Dell's own web page says "for AW 17 R2" so I wonder if it's suitable?

8. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Recently 1.11.0 BIOS came out is that the type of upgrade we need to avoid? After update undervolting option is gone from XTU and from Throttlestop. Is there any way to get that option back?

9. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If this is true, then this is the final kill of this system. Does anyone else (unlucky) confirm that the UV does not work with BIOS 1.11.0? Is blocking of UV the Intel firmware updates they are talking on their BIOS info (A security advisory is a statement when a security vulnerability impacts a product, and a remedy is available for the vulnerability)? I saw the new bios version after your post but I think this is the end of Bios updating for me. I will stay with 1.8.1. Glad it did not show up on driver updates.

By the way, try reverting back to 1.8.1 and check if this reverts UV option.

I can see rollback BIOS worked for other systems though

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...n-e-2186m-after-firmware-update.831546/page-2

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  10. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ive tried to check for the info and it looks like undervolting disabling is a new thing that dell (not sure about others) adding to their BIOS versions. Probably there is a way to go back to 1.8.1 version but its not going to be as easy as to update to a new one (ive tried to launch 1.8.1 version and it said "youre trying to install older version of BIOS which is not allowed press cancel to quit and "ok" button is inactive). I will probably need to wait and see if anyone finds a way to enable undervolting in this version or a way to get back to 1.8.1.