*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Gelu Buftea

Gelu Buftea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyone in or around London that can help me repaste and repad properly? I still get lots of freezes and it is getting worse :(

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm in the Netherlands sadly (Rotterdam), but if you have a spare machine where you could have an skype/discord/any video conference application i could walk you through it on a weekend.
    There is a way to loosen the heatsink so you'll reach the DIE's in 30 minutes without breaking down your whole system.

Papusan and Gelu Buftea like this.
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) Both will be sufficient and have almost the same cooling capacity (Copper holds heat better than aluminium, which is used to transfer it as fast as possible to all the fins present)

2) HWinfo 64 (portable)

3) I would steer clear from raid 0. RAID 0 is precisely twice as likely to fail as a single drive. And, if one drive fails, you lose all your data. Stay well clear of RAID 0, or you will regret it.

Gelu Buftea likes this.
  4. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:
    Rei Fukai I did that cause it took me a few months to read everything here. Btw a big thank you you all that kept digging for 2 years :). I am suspecting some windows problems as I finally reinstalled windows and the crashes have multiplied. I created a local admin account and aquired all permissions for files and also put a microsh$t account and started having errors and freezes.

Hence the hwinfo does not really help as I cannot see what crashed after freeze. Logs did not help as there is like 1 million data to descifre. I will reinstall using a local account only and see what happens. Meanwhile I am buying some kryonaut, conductonaut, ssd and pch cheap heatsinks and some pads. Any ideas on these so I do not read again 400 pages? :)

As far as the ssd goes it came like this when I bought it and never changed raid. I never save on c:/ ever ever so do not really care. The only question is does raid cause higher temps or not :)

P.S.: thanks for the offer but I will not waste your time as my schedule is quite messy, I never know if or when i have time :)

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    People should backup their data whatever if they run ssd's RAID 0 or single drive setup. What you think will happen if your single ssd fail?:D In the end... All storage (ssd's) will fail before or later @tilleroftheearth

Rei Fukai, Gelu Buftea and c69k like this.
  6. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you describe this process? Youre talking about the way to get better heatsink die contact?

7. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:

He is talking about how to remove just the heatsink without dissmantling everything including the motherboard. The secret is in thos 4 teeny tiny small little screws on the fans and gently removing the ducktape around them. Otherwise you have to remove the mb to dissconnect the fan cable and remove the heatsink to get to the cpu and gpu

Rei Fukai likes this.
  8. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh I see. To me it's easier to remove motherboard because I'm pretty sure that sooner or later you will need to replace that tape and I don't want to do that.

9. Gelu Buftea

Reputations:
    Riiiiight....so after a few clean windows came to the conclusion that I have no idea what to do next. Tested gpu with unigine heaven for 6 hours, reduced the gpu frequencies with msi, no theotteling in gpu or cpu but still crashed and bsod when playing nfs payback or fortnite. Something gets really hot and dont know what.

Rei Fukai what kind of pads did you use to repad as I have no other options left. Ordered a heatsink for pch and ssds but those are not the problem as pch does not go over 80 ever. So it has got to be the vrms and the vrams. Just need to order but I forgot if it was fujipoli or anything else and what range of thicknessess should i get

Rei Fukai likes this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    K5 PRO all the way. Start with a small glob in your VRM's and press them down firmly.

Lift your heatsink to check if your VRM's where covered fully. If not, fill it up (just a thin layer) and press it down again.

Make sure that before tightening, that your heatsink is flat and flush to your DIES to prevent imbalance on the CPU. The GPU is not really a problem cause the DIE is much bigger making it easier to cool down.

I also sanded/lapped my heatsink to get it more even (you can do a pressure test with pressure test paper and see which side stays white. The side that stays white should be lapped) last thing is i would recommended to put something between the chassus and the heatsink (to create more mounting pressure) or add some small heatsinks to the main heatsink to let it grab more air so it can give off more heat to that air. @Sk0b0ld Also Had some very nice/effective mods he crafted with some german enthousiasts.