*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You have the Alienware 17 R5 with 8750h and 1070.

7820hk is for Alienware 17 R4

2. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, I thought when I was buying laptop Ive had option with with 7820 and 1080 or 8750 and 1070. Thank for clarifying. I looked up at ebay and mobos are around 1000$ but I'm still hoping that I will not need it.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    upload_2020-6-15_22-39-44.png
    upload_2020-6-15_22-43-10.png

Click... Don't Know? Help? in main webpage https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=151

Good luck.

4. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Pretty good website actually thanks a lot. I was looking on ebay and there was 8750h 1070 for around 1000US but on this website it shows that i9 1080 is compatable for my model for 1200$ I guess it's pretty good deal.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can swap the mobo from the R5 to R4 and vice versa. I've been running my R5 mobo in my R4 chassis since the day i got my R5. Even swapped the screens and tobii eye tracking module.

Papusan likes this.
  6. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But in this case I believe I will need R4 heatsink as well because that upper cpu arm is different on r4 right? It means 100-200US more. But thanks I will keep that in mind.
    But at this point I would rather have an upgrade for i9 and 1080 but not downgrade to 7820 but it of course depends on price if its a lot cheaper I can think about it.

Rei Fukai and Papusan like this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cichen a guy an ebay sells repurposed R5 heatsinks made to fit the R4. I would check out his ebay page. I bought one myself for my R4. I have an R4 laying around which works perfectly it only has a defect screen. Depending on where you are maybe i can sell you my machine for a 1000 or so and you'll have a working machine and one laying around for spare parts.

If you're interested PM me

8. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am actually thinking of buying a bottom cover to modify to "summer edition" to test temps. The price of 17 USD is good but shipping is a different story.

9. Gelu Buftea

Gelu Buftea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Help please, 17 r5 i9 plus 1080gtx. I just finished reading all the posts in this thread but still confused.

I bought in January a used r5 very good condition all great except temps. Before I started reading about it i thought its an apple:)). Open install windows and done :). Boy was I in for a treat. My last tech was a dell inspiron which my son almost destroyed so i thought hey, gaming rig. What can go wrong?
    Anyways, all stock intel boost on, nvidia driver and lets play. Really hot. Eh, no problem, got a stand cooler(noname btw). Then started to remember my barton and nvidia 6600gt days, monitoring tweaking etc...all hot, throtteling etc, but the games ran fine for hours, no problem. Then start reading. And reading for 4 months now as i am limited by work. So lets begin. No crashes no freezes no stuttering no problems, just burning my fingers but no problems. Cpu all the way from 800mhz to 4.8ghz. Gpu 1.9ghz, throttle after throttle but all good in games and no crashes.

Start monitoring and reading everything here. Then I disabled all cpu speedshift and speedstep left cpu stock, no awcc. Still hot, than msi and underclock. A bit better but in games still 95+°C. Then i get to page 300 something.
    Than I repaste with Pk3 prolimatech. Then I see pch and ssd gets kinda hot, specially 2 970 evo 1tb raid0 but cpu under 85 max and gpu 60-65. But then I have itchy fingers. Put cpu at 3.5 with adaptive voltage and -0.50mv undervolt and bang. Crashes freezes. Now questions.

1) what is the most efficient ssd cooler? Aluminium copper or has any other user found a way to cool ssd and pch any other way?

2) how can I monitor ssd and pch like we do with rivatuner and msi?

3) is it worth keeping raid 0 or is it not?
    Thank you and sorry for the novel

10. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A little update on my dead laptop, had to send it to another city to qualified technician. Seems that something is wrong with power supply circuit it might be something minor but figuring this out is very time consuming. And I checked with parts-people and they cannot guarantee that i9 and i7 version have same heatsink so even if Ive had to change motherboard getting i9 is not the best idea because I would have to buy a new heatsink and probably another power adapter because mine is 230W and I believe i9 version comes with 330W.

Rei Fukai likes this.