*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Monsignor_Eduardo

Monsignor_Eduardo Newbie

Reputations:
    Same here bro aulthough I got the i7 with the 1070 (I knew 1080 i9 was to much) . I have repasted like 4 or 5 times and the temps are over the place but finaly I have find a "fix" stop using thermal grizzly kryonaut since when the temps reach 80, it starts losing properties ("Kryonaut uses a special structure, which halts the drying out process at temperatures of up to 80° Celsius.") My last repaste 4 months ago I used Phobya 0 HeGrease Extreme 3.5g and also changed my cooler https://www.ebay.es/itm/New-All-cop...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 .
    Maybe I will repaste again in July or Septemer like I do every year but atm my temps are ok.

DreDre likes this.
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When was the last repaste and how many watts can you get out of the CPU? (to test run P95 Torture small FFTs at 40.0x)

3. Monsignor_Eduardo

Monsignor_Eduardo Newbie

Reputations:
    My old temps was like 80/90 and the gpu was at 85 playing cod so last night I repasted the heatsink and cleaned the fans
    [​IMG]
    My current temps are:

[​IMG]
    The throttle is due to PL1 and PL2 and I wont change my TPL I'm not confident nor care for the extra 0.8Ghz also here is the undervolt.
    [​IMG]

4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, from your photo I would guess that you reached 92.7 Watts at 75C - it does not tell me for how long, eg seconds, minutes? And why did you not go all the way to 110W, temperature permitting?

Right after a repaste, you should be able to hit 110W, even if only for a minute, then drop to 104W, and settle say at 100W. In my case this honeymoon does not last too long, after a few weeks, maybe a couple of months tops, I am down to 60W at best. I suppose a good thermal paste would stay close to its first day performance for much longer than a few weeks.

5. cussyandrew

cussyandrew Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, would I be better off getting an older AW 17 R5 (8750/1070) or the newer AW m17 R1 (8750/2070MQ)?

Thanks

6. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How is your CB R15 score now? I can still hit 106W (it maybe more than the hwinfo report) on mine but my score got lower (1486) while I used to hit 1540. So, something is holding it back but I am not going to look for it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    I've got alienware 17 R5 with 8750h and 1070. Couple of days back it shut down during the game and now it's not responding. No light no sound fans silent basically when I press power button nothing happens. I've had liquid metal on Cpu and kryonaut on GPU and was always monitoring temps during the games and other activities. My Cpu during games stayed at average 75 with max at 90 on some cores (difference between core was 4-5 degrees max) and GPU temp maxed at 75. No thermal throttling occurred ever (according to Intel XTU utility and hwinfo) only power throttling at 120W for GPU. When I plug charger it still has lights but no reaction from laptop. Any ideas what It might be?

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Soon as I read that I thought "oh no, LM..."

Your LM most likely has leaked and fried your motherboard. If you have warranty, ask Dell to replace it, and make sure you wipe all traces of LM clean before.

9. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well might be but Ive had liquid metal for months and nothing happened and I didn't move laptop as well. I'm out of warranty and I've bought laptop in different country. I did disassemble laptop and looked for any damage and there is no leakage traces and no signs of damage as well.

10. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If LM leaks, it causes damage slowly rather than immediately (the components around the CPU and GPU can fry the thing immediately though). I hope you covered the areas around CPU and GPU chips with thermal tape when applied.

I accidentally had a small drop of LM on a motherboard area once during application. I immediately dropped enough thermal material removal liquid and waited for it to dry. Needless to say I scared to death until I figured out it did not cause any damage.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G955F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.