*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed. I went from the 1440p panel to the 4k panel in no time at all. Was a super easy swap. moving from 1080 to anything else is a cable swap, which is probably about an hours work if you've never done it before.

2. normand668

normand668 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just considering my options for possibly buying a Graphics Amplifier and 2080Ti. The reviews on Amazon seem pretty good, though also seen elsewhere a lot of negative ones (though many dated). I'm also aware that some GPU variants may not fit fully in the enclosure. Does anyone have any recent experiences, advice or even recommendations for a 2080Ti model to use? Additionally i'm also considering just waiting ofc for the next Ampere GPU's, that is "if" they are compatible. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Cheers

Dan

3. paulrs1975

paulrs1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i had the setup you talk of (before i moved to a eurocom sky x7c, 8700k RTX 2080, MW 2019 max setting 3440x1440 omen x35= cpu 67 gpu 68, copper ihs LM, much happier ;) however what you need is the reference card as that is the only one AW gives support for and yes it fits without any dremmel craziness or case modding. the cpu is not great for this card though. my suggestion, keep the money, buy a latop from eurocom with a 2080!

iv not regretted it. if you can do without the fancy led rubbish you will get a unit that outperforms the area 51 and for nearly half the price, which i spent on a very nice widescreen monitor and 2 days in amsterdam ;)

normand668 likes this.
  4. normand668

normand668 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and advice! Glad you've had such luck with the new system. I'm happy enough though with my system atm, whilst I'll likely stick with Alienware for the foreseeable, mainly as my Uncles company is a Dell Partner and I also get military discount, so together the discount I get with Dell is phenomenal.

Regardless I really appreciate the advice and will need to decide on getting the 2080Ti or new card once any more info is availiable. :)

5. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I would like to prevent my battery getting fully charged, I'd rather it stays at around 80%, I appreciate that the laptop charges it fully as a default, because it does not know when I am going to unplug it from the mains, but is there a way to achieve that ?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think BMS of 17r5 handles that automatically.