*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, as long as it does not cause throttles, why care what the PCH does a few degrees more or less?

2. JJv1990

JJv1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, anyone knows how to fix the always popping "External audio device detected" when inserting headphones? It's so annoying. ~_~

3. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have creative soundblaster one, when u plugin headset you should see a pop up, on bottom of that you should see a option, do not show this again tick box.. click that.. you are good to go

4. JJv1990

JJv1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't own creative speakers, only logitech speakers. I hope there's a proper fix to this.

5. msri15603

msri15603 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    URGENT!!
    Guys please help me.
    my laptop is suddenly dead now. I launched chrome and it went dead turned off completely.
    The power brick has it's light turned off too and when I plug in the power brick again, the light on the brick turns off again and there is a "chick" sound heard from the adapter port of the laptop.
    I had this same issue earlier and dell told me it was something related to the power circuit and swapped the motherboard a month back.
    Now today I have the same failure. Please help what keeps going wrong again and again? :'(

@VICKYGAMEBOY @Vasudev @Papusan

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 3:50 AM
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Similar like this? Fried components https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/crt0ah/in_need_of_serious_help/

You have reached end of life on some of the components on MB. Hope you still have warranty up and go. Extend it as long you have this notebook.

Hope you get it fixed once again. Maybe get rid of it once it’s fixed. Best luck

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. msri15603

Reputations:
    I do have warranty (Thank God for that) And they have created a service request for the same. But please help me understand what precautions should I take? Why the hell did it happen again all of a sudden? And sadly I have to keep up with this machine as long as I possibly can :(
    Please help me understand more about this issue and what causes it, and how can I prevent it, if it's possible somehow? :(

Rei Fukai likes this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't do nothing about it. AW likes to use cheap motherboard components making your system crap out after one or two years requiring a new machine (which is a business model adopted from Apple by Apple) best case scenario would be to get a LGA/PGA/MXM machines with heck of a lot beafier components. There are some systems from 10 years ago which are almost fully compatible with motherboards from this year. It only requires manual tweaking and maintenance.

A good mxm based system can do 5 years with ease. @Papusan and @Mr. Fox have more proof and knowledge than me.

Papusan likes this.
  9. msri15603

Reputations:
    I don't have (₹3Lakhs) $4500 to buy a new machine right now. My savings went into this laptop and now I have to make do with it for the next couple of years atleast.
    My warranty expires on 6th September 2019 and I am now considering to purchase extended warranty for my machine just so that I can atleast use the hardware before it becomes obsolete. I'll build a desktop next and buy some nice quality notebook for everything else on the go.
    I bought a gaming laptop because I was in college and now I am just out of education working my first job and buying a new $4500 something machine doesn't seem too logical right now.

As for the reddit post @Papusan mentioned, the OP mentioned opening up the laptop to repaste and then after that the mobo was fried during stress testing. Forgive my lack of knowledge but can it be due to ESD? but I myself doubt my question because I opened up the laptop a number of times and it didn't fail.

Also, since the mobo I'll be getting would be a refurbished one, will it happen again? In the same time frame i.e. a month or so?

Also, doesn't it cost dell so much more to go on with these replacements? Why not make a better product right away?

PS - What is the cost of the mobo when I am out of warranty?
    Is buying extended warranty the only option I have now? :'(

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    My oldest Clevo is from 2010. My Alienware 17R1 is from 2013 + my P870 from 2015 run nice and fine. All of course LGA/PGA/MXM machines.
    Expect similar will/can happen again. And expect that Dell can use a refurbished MB. The predecessor Aw17R4 released a year before the AW17R5 have already popped up with several fried MB. Extend your warranty for as long you can (see Alienware 17 R4 nightmare problems) once the laptop being fixed. If it was me I would sell it once it's fixed. If you need computers 24/7 buy a spare one or use your phone. In case same or similar happen again.

New or used MB ain't cheap. And not always easy to obtain for all models

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bga-venting-thread.798775/page-217#post-10904496

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bga-venting-thread.798775/page-212#post-10885121

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bga-venting-thread.798775/page-180#post-10690017

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Rei Fukai and jc_denton like this.