*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your average CPU VID is my max CPU VID @ same speed. but still my system keeps running in to the TDP limit. If the 110w limit wouldn't be there, i could let the CPU run loose, but it keeps bumping it's head.

Maybe it's time to update the bios, still running 1.5.0. not very fond on how Dell handles Bios changes.

2. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally you've got it. it's slowly getting better. Do you have SpeedStep and SpeedShift enabled now? 43,44w avg CPU power @ 45x is very low.

What's your max/ avg fps in the FC Benchmark with 4k Ultra settings?

If I compare my system with yours, all of your other components (PCH, SSDs, RAM) will be warmer overall.

Noc 45x.jpg

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I may have to remind you my target of CPU temp spikes less than 90C with FC ND. Thats all the effort done for. If it stays like that I will ''slowly'' just enjoy the system and forget about doing things I should never do. Let's not get into the SSD temps and which NVME drives/speed RAM speed etc etc we are using.There is no meaning to me talking about 8C differences while they are within the acceptable/no causing trouble range. I have seen you are using only one nvme? I run games from the second nvme while the OS is on another. So, always using two nvme drives (one is Pm981) at the same time while gaming. I will try reduce the PCH temps a bit with another heatsink if I can and I am done. I know from experience the PCH is a bad one because on initial motherboard, the PCH idle temps were at least 10C lower without modding anything. So overall, no problem if the temps do not cause lags as the over 92C CPU temp spikes could do and my job for my system is done. Speed shift and speedstep are disabled.

By the way, what's your common room temperature?
    My CPU temps seem to have dropped probably because of the 5C room temperature drop too.Cryo NZXT helped with PCH temps probably because of airflow and there is currently no PCH-HS

Well this is strange. You could try update your BIOS but I do not think it is a matter of BIOS because I used latest 1.7.0 on both current and previous motherboards with significant differences between the CPUs as posted before.

Also try increase the TPL limit in TS, if this does any difference

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I set my limits standard @200watts. In my R4 bios it's also 200w but that one was unlocked. Setting the PL in TS won't do anything on the R5 except when you go down in PL. Going past 110w without custom bios is pretty hard, and next to impossible

5. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know you cannot change the PL but you can change a parameter (I think it is called current power limit or so, I am not in front of my R5 now to see) inside TPL in TS. This has an effect on frequencies.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My frequencies stay locked so it's not really usefull info for me. Again i'm having probleem with my CPU generating more wattage than normal. It has nothing do with frequencies as i can lock my frequency as long as it does not cross 110w.

Edit: Just did a quick run:
    Screenshot (7).png Screenshot (8).png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have tested LGA against BGA chips since 2015. And with clock speed below stock clocks aka the different PL limits won't have any affect. Neither should the PL limits have any affect on stock clocks on an overclockable BGA chips in a chassis you can run it above stock clocks. The results is clear as the Sun in a Sunny day:) The overprices welded on chips is second quality. Probably also the power delivery and power paths/traces on MB on such laptops with everything soldered on.

8. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where did you see that? Look in my signature or in the CPU-Z validation (Fixed-Bus)

Same as mine. First NVMe SSD for OS, second NVMe for Gaming and third SATA SSD for storage.

21 - 22 °C. I've a thermometer on my desk.

9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe you are not reading TDP properly if nothing else has changed.

Yeah, but he is talking about +20/30W, the CPU almost always goes to 80C+ during cinebench when we take our TDP measures, so I do not think temperature changes can even account for that. I would guesstimate less than 5% variance over the *whole* range from 20C to 100C. Run a simple test, keep the CPU at say 50C after equilibrium, keep the test running, put the Blow Torch on the CPU and see how the TDP changes, I bet less than 5% :) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079J472BX

I cannot see how you can say that. All motherboards, laptops and desktops contain dozens of soldered on components, many carrying ridiculous amounts of amps too (eg GPU=200W !!!) - talking about PCB traces. On a desktop motherboard, just because one IC (out of dozens) is on a socket, does not mean that all other soldered components are superior !

Ahh, move it away from the AW17 - I get 2-3C less if I take temps away from the laptop.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have one already on the table but can’t see the need for it:)
    D4DEBBA4-B8CC-40AE-9075-B1D87C3C5C63.jpeg
    I just posted that temps will affect the power consumption. Nothing more
    Laptops with everything welded on hardware isn’t designed for high amount of Amps. See also why some laptops have problems with fast memory etc (cheaply made and can’t handle it even with the options for tweaking). You can’t say the rest on the MB is good enough although the graphics pump out up to 200W. The total amps possible within the MB can still be lackluster. Same with (traces, power rails, components etc). Engineers design it as barely minimum. And I'm not going to go into the subject of screwing up firmware. Awful voltage management, AC / DC Loadline settings out of another world etc. There are many ways to destroy a laptop which isn’t designed for high power.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    c69k and Rei Fukai like this.