*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Laptopz

Laptopz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I'm correct, the Alienware 17 R4 and R5 both have one 2242 SATA and two 2280 PCIe NVME slots. For those that have the R4 and R5, are you able to use a SATA drive in the two PCIe NVME slots? I'm just trying to see if I actually need to spend more money on buying NVME SSDs instead of the cheaper/slower m.2 SATA SSDs.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can use normal Sata drives in both slots.

3. Laptopz

Laptopz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does this apply for both the 17 R4 and 17 R5?

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can only speak for the aw15r3/17r4. But i cant imagine they changed it. Also i never heard of nvme only slots.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Applies for 15 r2 and beyond. The list also includes most OEMs such as, Lenovo, MSI, Clevo, Tong Fang,HP, Dell, etc.. All OEMs except Apple,Google(They use custom SSD form-factor BGA based with higher capacity single/double sided)

6. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've repasted with Artic MX-4 2019 edition and cant help but feel that thermal grizzly would have been the better paste.

Temps in gaming are around 80 degree average cpu and 80-83 average on GPU. You guys think I should get thermal grizzly and do another repasting or just leave it?

what bugs me is i do get spikes to 99 on all cores eventually over time, particulary when alt tabbing from the game and running internet browers or other apps or what have you

I will admit i'm concerned i'm getting to obsessed monitoring temps. PC doesnt have any issues in games.
    temps.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. _Bones_

_Bones_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Try setting ICCMAX to 110 instead of 150. That helped mine tremendously.

8. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is causing significant lagging of the whole system. Something up to 145 would be better.

MX-4 is good for the GPU. Regarding the CPU, the best solution is conductonaut. But if you do not want to use LM, then MX-4 should perform well. My experience from thermal grizzly is not the best. But spikes are probably caused by imbalanced heatsink. I would do an IC Contact test (as I did on mine) and press the heatsink on the areas needed with a thermal tape between the heatsink and the chassis above to push it a little bit on those areas.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. domlo

domlo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Aristotelhs! How did you do the contact test? With pressure paper? What grade pressure paper did you use (there is a wide range of pressure ranges available)? My 20C difference between CPU cores indicates that the heatsink is not level and i am going to measure it to see if i need to do more than just adjust pads.

did you use fujifilm prescale paper or for example plastigauge?

10. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I did the contact test using the IC Contact test (google it but I do not think there is any other like it). I did not replace any thermal pads. I only repasted with MX-4 for GPU and LM for CPU (LM improves temps by 10C or more for this CPU compared to good thermal paste and I have tried a number of them including thermal grizzly, MX-4). This is why I only used thermal tape (between the appropriate heatsink areas and the chassis) to push the heatsink on the areas with less contact (after I have done the contact test). From my experience, there is not a significant improvement to change the thermal pads (I have done it on my previous two R5s). The major difference is repaste with LM for CPU and a good thermal paste for the GPU (from my exprerience MX-4 is really good for the CPU). You can try that first with an UV and if you still get lags (may or not be due to VRMs), you can then try different pads. But if you decide to repad, this is then getting more complicated to measure the thickness.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019