*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cinebench is a good smoke test but is not exhaustive. On two AW17s I got 1400+ repeatedly (1452 with priority to "high"), with 43x and 44x and power up to 110W. Back to back runs however (about 8 runs or so) reached 91C.

A better test is games which are proven to hammer the machine, like FC5 or Subnautica. After a few hours gaming, the whole machine gets hot, the keyboard burns and then you know if bad things happen, like the VRMs. Do not forget room temps in the UK are now 21C and in summer it was 27C-30C - big difference.

You do realise that most AW17 owners CANNOT run FC5 or Subnautica or other such games for anything over 10 minutes before the machine starts to misbehave, and they only care about having a machine that works. Firestrike results are purely academic for most.

2. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For FC5, I have to have it set to 44X max for all cores to avoid having temps over 80s together with a good UV of about -196mV (can get it lower up to -0.211mV which is stable for CB but I do not want to push it to the lowest limit for stability reasons). GPU temps are at about 80s max (not UV done on GPU) after an hour or more of FC5 (3840x2160 at ultra settings). No lagging with those settings even after hours of gaming. I keep records of all temps with hwinfo while playing. Fans are spinning which is normal because they start to spin while temps exceed 70s (fan performance profile is always selected). In addition I was running OCCT for about 3 hours at 47x and -0.196mV) without getting it to stop due to thermal issues. Room temps make a difference but LM vs thermal paste makes the most difference in addition to good UV capabilities of individual CPUs.

3. ranmasaotome510

ranmasaotome510 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Noticing my 17r5 constantly switching to battery and wall power... when near or at 97-99% (i never see it go to 100% anymore) - no clue if my brick is the culprit or not, or if this is a stupid "battery health saving feature" to prevent it from going to 100%. If so, why not just have it stop charging at 99, and stay at wall power. Instead mine will actually report that its running on battery, then switch to wall power VERY frequently. Were talking switching to battery 5 times every 2 minutes. Each time it switches to battery it lasts 10-25 seconds, and wall power it lasts 20-35 seconds. This is super annoying! (Attached screen recording of the battery/power icon)

This also appears to have the unintended consequence of disallowing my external monitor from sleeping, as the act of it switching constantly wakes it up - so the machine never goes to sleep - PERFECT :D

I also notice alot of random intermittent freezes/lag from time to time while either playing league of legends, or watching youtube. sometimes the whole system just lags (audio keeps going), and the screen freezes, then what is displayed goes fast forward to catch up to the audio. this is incredibly irritating while gaming or watching youtube or saved videos.

Running Windows 10 Build 17763 (Clean install)

Windows Built in reliability monitor reports that Alienware Command Center keeps crashing? (running latest 5.2.24 version) - unsure if related or not, don't know. It is also reporting hardware errors - Whats Happening here?!

I have the 8750H CPU, and 1080 GTX GPU... bios 1.6.2. I got this system in November 2018, and already experiencing these issues?

I do zero Overclocking - or modifications - so this behavior is just unacceptable and irritating.

Anyone got any ideas, or should i take this to dell support (already shuddering at the thought...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. eke2k6

eke2k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Chiming in to give a positive opinion.

I repasted my 17 R5 (1070) with thermal grizzly kryonaut as soon as I took it out of the box. My GPU has never gotten hotter than 70 degrees while gaming in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4 and Crysis 3, and this is OC'ed and at 4K.

It was a pain in the rear to disassemble compared to the Predator 17x it's replacing, but I'd say it's worth it if the stories I've read in this thread about overheating are true.

Hope this helps someone.

5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not think there are many that can pass -130mV safelyu, let alone -200mV !! You are indeed very lucky.

I was having (may still) the exact same issue in WoW, the game I play most. The screen freezes for a while and then it goes mad and updates like crazy and then it settles. My best theory so far is the WiFi / Killer looks like something is buffering or giving priority to other packets or … I seem to remember there is a setting in Killer Control Centre - maybe Advanced Stream Detect?

Anyway I have plugged myself to the Ethernet now to avoid such issues.

6. normand668

normand668 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear of the issues, I would honestly recommend you go to Dell. My own system I had a dead area of pixels on receipt and audio crackling at high volume within first couple weeks. Dell had both the screen and speakers replaced. Though entirely different issues I like many others have problems and I recommend you at first get Dell's advice and support before troubleshooting yourself. If anything to cover yourself if it gets worse. I appreciate as well that support can be a pain and may even mean sending it off.

I have a 1080 and 8950HK and like eke2k6 repasted (IC Diamond 24) as soon as I got the machine. For the i9 like many others it did very little, though there was a marginal improvement and would still recommend, probably more so with an i7, based on what I've read. Again I'd recommend HyperX RAM as an upgrade if you have the money as I found an improvement of benchmarks and AC:Odyssey FPS of about 5-7%. Regardless your issue sounds like hardware issues, though I'd recommend you use the free version of Malwarebytes AV and/or it's ADWCleaner to double check if you have any malware on your system. I've caught a few things even though I have McAfee and Windows Defender in support mode on Win10. Anyway best of luck and let us know how it works out.

7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    -200 is easy when you're on adaptive core voltage. AW uses way too much voltage and IA AC/DC boosts 0.1 Mv so real voltage value is always voltage value - 0.100.

all my adaptive clocks where with a -0.200+ mV undervolt. now i'm using static voltages which are way less than AW it's predefined values.

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have no idea what I am using. I just go to XTU and select Core Voltage Offset -130mV which is stable, anything more and there will be crashes.

9. Alienman17

Alienman17 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The same for me. More than -140mv will crash my system. Sometimes after 2 minutes sometimes after 5 or 10 but it will crash definitly!
    You could be lucky guys who can set more than -140mv! Because that means you also can increase your frequency and espacially stable frequencys!

Someone an idea to fix my problem with the support assist pre....hardware check every system boot? I delete the support assist partition but it is not the right one....i believe this software is on the EFI partition...I have no idea to delete it from there. I cannot delete the hole partition because it is neccesary for windows start up. And i dont know how to delete only this **** support assist..:(
    And why is it starting ub every system boot with this fan error....there is no prob...man...

10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Surely Dell should tell you how to fix it or fix it themselves?