*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Am I right to assume that even with a repaste i can hit 100c temps on spikes?

My cpu seems to stay at around 75-83 usually under load and gpu around 79 degrees. I do get spikes on my cpu to 100 on all cores registered on my temp monitoring software. Do I need to repaste this again or will we always have these 100c spikes come up?

2. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted? I have your same config and with my undervolt active, I don't get those spikes. I top out at low 90's for spikes under combined GPU and CPU loads and that's just the fans catching up. I'm usually sitting in the mid to high 80's under combined loads after my repaste and adding in my missing thermal pads.

3. FuturisticModz

FuturisticModz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello! So I've been wondering for awhile my laptop will boot up & get into windows in around 22 seconds. Is there anyway I can shorten that? I have a PCIE M.2 SLOT but it still takes 22 seconds... Dell said it takes so long due to a hardware detection check... Why would I need that on EVERY BOOT? They also said that it can't be turned off & it's designed this way. I'm I the only one mad at this? They tell customers buy the more expensive m.2 PCIE drive for a faster boot but then they cripple it...

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

4. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Is Windows installed on SSD?
    2. Check BIOS, in Boot section if 1st boot option is Windows Boot Manager:
    [​IMG]

5. FuturisticModz

Reputations:
    I have a NVME M.2 DRIVE[​IMG]

6. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess the only other explanation is the latest BIOS with Intel microcodes, and probably on each 'cold start' there is a check if patches applied before continuing booting.

7. FuturisticModz

Reputations:
    I'm getting like 22-25 second boot time it seems really really slow for an NVME M.2 drive.

8. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    repasting with LM (use 2 or 3 drops), good UV and a small push on certain contact areas (check ICC contact test) and you wont get higher than 90s even with spikes even with 4.7GHz for all cores (this is the maximum from the CPU power limit)

9. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    do you use AHCI or RAID mode? If on raid which intel rapid driver do you use (16.7 is the latest from Dell, even though 16.8 is out from Intel already). AHCI is faster than raid but it is also causing higher temps (especially on my samsung NVMEs PM981 and PM961, even with heatsink)

10. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Secure boot should be on I think, at least from the factory. I know it is on my machine. not sure if that impacts start times though. What do you have under the "main" and "advanced" sections.

Vasudev and propeldragon like this.