*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you get the SSD you can clone the old drive and then do a factory image and start windows fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know. I was actually going to put a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro onto the system and install the latest drivers - no bloatware. My issue is that the performance seems so slow in comparison to what I remember of my old laptop. That was a Clevo P770ZM-G, i7-4790k, 32GB RAM, 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (just found the receipt), 2x 2TB Firecudas, 980m and killer 802.11AC. I guess we will find out in the next day or so - as soon as Amazon Prime delivers. :)

My biggest issue is I need to get this resolved during the window in time I am in the US. I leave on January 2nd for 6 months. :( If you care to see just how bad our burglary was, view this site: https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-farmers-recover-from-their-home-burglary

I am NOT asking for $. The link is so you can see just how bad the burglary was. If you elect to donate, that is your business but again, the link is there so you can see what happened, get an idea of what was taken (everything of monetary value INCLUDING the security system!) and such.

Lorrie - the friend that started the campaign - was Playboy's Miss February 1969. We have joked that she should send out pictures of herself from 1969 to anyone that donates to the campaign....and ones from today for anyone that doesn't! ;) Just think, 70 year old grandma boobs or a 19 year old's. LOL

Anyhow, we are doing ANYTHING we can for a laugh right now.

3. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cooler master u3 is a good choice.

4. Jack487

Jack487 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I have been following your discussions and searched this thread but I did not find a solution to my problem:
    the AWCC just ignores my thermal profile settings when the application I attached it to is running. When I am just in desktop, the thermal profile is being applied.

I tried with BF1 and Assassins Creed Origins. No matter what profile I set (stable fan % or a curve...), the fans go up to 90-100% when the CPU temps reach about 50-60°C, and they stay there.
    I tried the current and the former version of AWCC, deinstalled it, contacted Dell support (they made a BIOS update etc.), nothing worked.

I have an AW17 R5, Intel 8750h and Geforce 1070, I use Throttlestop, undervolted to -110mV.
    My temps are great and I do not understand why below 60°C the fans go to 100%, but ONLY when the game is running and ignore all settings made.
    When I end the game, the profile is being applied again, e.g. fixed fan speed or a curve.

My only way out at the moment is choosing the silent profile, at least the fans go only up to 76%, which is not that loud, temps stay around 60°C with Assassins Creed. Still could be quiter, I would be fine with 70-80°C too and slower fans...

Does anyone experience that too? That thermal profiles are ignored for the application they are attached to?
    Did you guys get your thermal profiles to be applied?
    Thanks for your replies and shared experiences!
    Greets, Jack

5. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

If I get the 60Hz IPS Panel (17.3" FHD 1920x1080 60Hz Anti-Glare NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled 300-nits IPS, according to Dell UK site) , Is it possible for me to upgrade this to a 120Hz IPS Panel with G-SYNC later on? 3rd Party Screen? Anyone who has done this?

6. foehns

foehns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Quick question. Is this sort of thing normal on the TN panel?
    Specifically the dark spot near the top and purple area at the bottom?
    I asked Dell and they said it was completely normal but I want to double check. They also said 99 degrees under minimal load was fine, so.

https://imgur.com/a/Yyczx3S

7. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are within your return window you should return it. Otherwise call them up and give them hell.

8. ruthlessredneck

ruthlessredneck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, that's not normal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9. foehns

foehns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Gee, that bad huh? Thanks for letting me know!
    It looks less severe in real life and is barely noticeable, if at all, when playing games. Do you think it’s worth going through dell hell for? I’m sadly out of warranty too, but this was a replacement unit for another R5 lemon.

10. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The panel can easily be changed. If you switch to QHD or UHD you’ll also have to replace the cable which involves a full teardown.

Finding a reliable panel can be tricky though. You need to find a Dell panel to retain gsync functionality and many of the ones you see for cheap online are off brand / factory rejects / have multiple bad pixels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vish120292 likes this.