*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. foehns

foehns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is anyone else missing the NVIDIA Control Panel?
    I'm not sure when, but mine seems to have disappeared and I need it back ASAP. I really don't want to have to completely reinstall my drivers if other people are having the same problem.
    Any help is appreciated. :')

2. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That only happens when you’re running off the iGPU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since the thermals are somewhat acceptable for now, the only issue I'm getting is Power Throttling.

Is this something to do with Power Limit? If so is Powe Limit they set at 110 the culprit here? I checked my Bios and it's locked. Seems like this prevents XTU from doing anything.

I tried setting CPU mode to performance and fiddled around with the options but nothing allows me to make any changes in the Power Limit. People seem to do this in the R4. Is this locked in R5?

4. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You cannot go over 110 So once your system hits that then you hit power limit throttle.

There’s a finite amount of power your system can cram through the CPU. Line limit and power limit are expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Power consumption rises with temperature (because of I2R losses). Hence try to lower temp as much as possible with better pads, paste and max out possible undervolt (this on systems with power cap as the Alienwares). And he use from what I see... Stock or 4.3GHz all cores. Shouldn't reach power limit with this clock speed.

raz8020, Rei Fukai and Falkentyne like this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly. For me it starts power throttling when I try to reach 4.7 Ghz all core. From the beginnen I'm struggling to keep the mV down but high enough for 4.7 to be stable but I keep running in to it. Even if my temps haven't crossed 90C.

7. iron_megalith

Reputations:
    Those issues were prevalent during synthetic benchmarks. I guess this is as far as I can go with stock thermal paste. I don't want to do any re-pasting just yet because Support told me that if I apply my own paste, I can no longer return the unit. So that's out of the equation if that's the case.

When I played a game like FFXV it just brought my system to its knees. For the CPU, average was 86C but was frequently hitting 90-99C on all cores. Meanwhile GPU was hitting 80C and averaging at around 75C. All cores were throttling so hard back and forth. I almost gave up. But then I remembered that I never touched the GPU.

I undervolted this thing to 925mV 1911 but adjusted it down to 1898MHz. I'm getting very acceptable temps. Still getting vRel which suggests that either I lower the frequency or raise the voltage. At this point, as long as it's very stable, I really don't care.

Highest I got was 93C on CPU and 65 on GPU. The average for CPU Package was 66C while GPU was around 60C. Very minimal throttling on the CPU. Only happens when something CPU intensive kicks in during the game which happens most of the time when driving in the game. I almost feel like I want to keep this system now. I might be able to squeeze out some improvements if I apply Kryonaut to the CPU and GPU and change the Thermal Pads. LM is really out of the question for now since I have not seen any convincing ways to safely apply it to a unit that is constantly being transported.

A few more days left to decide whether this system is a keeper or not.

Now I would like to ask if anyone here thinks Cooling pads do something at all?

I've seen a lot of posts that say they don't while some say they help. Right now, I'm raising the system about an inch above the surface which works really well. However it's not comfortable for working straight to the unit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Whatever system you get will need more or less re-epaste. And you never tell official support about repaste.

You can try CPU UV (which is more important than GPU UV) but I doubt you will get very acceptable temps

Rei Fukai and c69k like this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i would undervolt the GPU much sooner than the cpu. Because we have an BGA it is neccesary to UV, but with a LGA chip those problems are mostly mitigated due to LGA being a much more "pure" wafer. If we would've have an LGA chip it would not be neccesary to UV, and also the GPU can produce up to 200+ watts not the cpu. Where bios constraint on that part (but a unlocked i9 9900K can produce up to 250watts heat) If heat flows from the GPU to the CPU it is the GPU that needs to be toned down. A gtx 1080 undervolted to 0.850 mV on 1925 MHz will only generate around 130/140 watts compared to the 180 (stock) and 200+ when boosting (depends on game and duration of boost).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  10. iron_megalith

Reputations:
    Already did. Did a -0.140v. That's the limit my CPU can handle. On synthetic load, Thermal throttling doesn't happen very often. However you said something about not mentioning it. If I don't mention re-paste, do they still take the unit in should I wish to return it?

I wish my GPU can run 0.850V on 1925. Final Fantasy XV crashes at 0.900V.

I'm not really sure if I should consider dropping my clock speed to accommodate a lower voltage.

But really I'm wondering if cooling pads do anything positive to the system. If it at least drops 5C in my general temps I'll be happy. With systems like this, a temperature drop like that is more than welcome.

Rei Fukai likes this.