*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When i got mine, i was not in need of a repaste. But i did it anyway cause i love overclocking more than gaming, so after 3 hours of using it without OC my hand started iching, and i proceeded with a LM repaste. I even made a reddit post cause i had good temperatures and i was surprised.

2. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Depends what frequencies and what games you tested it with. But anyways you needed to do it or you would need to do it soon.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Rei Fukai

Reputations:
    4.3 all core without downclocking while gaming. Heat would be around 60/67 watts on the CPU and 190/200 watts GPU. No Ocing but from itself it would boost up to 1922Mhz and come back down to around 1835Mhz boost. That's why it maybe could not stay within the 180 watt limit, just like the founders edition card though.

4. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    Have you tried FC5 at 4.3GHz and you had no temp spikes? Did you try OC at 4.3GHz or just tried with OC off?:)

5. Rei Fukai

Reputations:
    No I play star citizen. Which is heavier on your CPU and GPU than any game currently out (as has of singularity is imho a simulation not really a game) SC yields a 100% utilization on the GPU, minimum of 80% of ram and minimum of 75% cpu usage. Currently I play it undervolted (on the gpu) and a 100Mhz overclock on all core for the CPU. Resolution 2560×1440

6. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    I do not know if it is heavier but for comparison reasons you could try FC5 (as it is offered for free from Dell) which absolutely gives temp spikes. In any case, when comparing temps we should all try the same settings (frequencies, games resolution etc). There is no reason to compare now of course as we both repasted and we are using different resolutions.

By the way, I have never done UV on the GPU but the maximum temps I have seen are 80C till now after repaste (using MX-4 on GPU and LM on CPU) playing FC5 at 4K and maximum graphics. Can you share you GPU UV settings (screenshot) in MSI afterburner?

7. Rei Fukai

Reputations:
    I know for sure, cause Star citizen brings down even the 2080 t.i. to it's knees. And i haven't gotten a free copy, cause it was a limited time promotion. Temp spikes are due a heatsink that is not properly attached, has not enough contact with the DIE area, or a fan that lags to spin up to it's appropriate fanspeed. on my R4 it was riddled with temperature spikes, but then i could not manage my fanspeeds. Testing it right now is not really smart, cause i've LM my gpu and cpu. i've limit GPU clockspeed to 1700 Mhz on 0.925 Mv. if you want to see the graph, i can upload it later, i''m working and my laptop @home is turned off. If it was in sleepmode, i could still wake it up.

Edit: Another reason i know for sure Facry is not as heavy as Star Citizen, because Farcry it's DRM is broken. Just like every UBISOFT game, they use a double DRM protection making your cpu run more cycles just to keep your DRM alive. That's why you think Far cry is heavy on your laptop, but in the REAL WORLD it's just a bad implementation of DRM. And the second thing is, Star citizen is build on the same engine on the game many people still use you gauge the performance off. Ofcoarse i'm talking about crysis. Not only is the engine the same (they migrated away since the beginning of 2018) they're now using a crysis engine, with networking capabilties called Lumberyard and runs on Amazon AWS. and because they still use the Crysis engine in it's base form (called CRYENGINE) SC is poised to become the new "but can it run crysis 3"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    rinneh likes this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ubisoft games indeed tend to have the worst DRM that is on the market. I worry if my game collection still can be played in the future to be honest because of it.

I'm running into power limits as well with my 1070GTX. 150watt can only be done in short bursts with my current bios but I worry that if I use a custom bios that the power section of this GPU might be overstrssed.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Reputations:
    as long as your gpu does not have a high temperature (like 80/85C) you could run it on full speed. i don't know which 1070 you have, but some came with a bios switch. Giving it a dual/hybrid bios option. The gtx 1080 (FE) starts to dial back it's power and current @83C dropping the clocks all the way down to base clockspeed. If you manage to keep you gpu for example at a max off @70C you would be able to max out performance on your GPU. by adjusting your powertarget in MSI afterburner, or custom vbios. Turbo boost 3.0 gives us finer control over Mhz/Mv but it also maxes the risk bigger to **** up your card (if you don't know what you're doing) If you have an OEM gpu, it could be they made an offset for the temperature limit/thermal throttle limit. on the gtx 1080 (FE) the gpu turns itself off @95C even though the chip itself can withstand around 100C

10. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    Rei FUkai can you share a screenshot of your GPU UV? I guess you used MSI Afterburner?