*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. equalizer2000

equalizer2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, good call... yeah I gotta try that. I was going to check firmware too, but since I am in raid mode from the factory, can't use Magician and will need to do a USB boot to get in via AHCI. I'll try changing the driver first though, I don't think the firmware can make a huge difference unless there was a known issue. I considered switching to AHCI originally too but doesn't seem from others' testing that it is different from RAID mode.

Oh, other thing I need to try is keeping the CPU clocks up during the SSD test, that could affect the benchmark too.

2. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This temperature issue appears to be unique to the R4/R5. I have a PM in my R3 and the highest temp I could get is 70 degrees. Oddly enough that is the top end of its operating temp range. Each PCIe position came with a thermal pad the length of the drive.

equalizer2000 likes this.
  3. equalizer2000

Reputations:
    Excellent info and refresher (on some of it, lol - a lot of this is new or stuff I haven't done in 6 years or more). Thank you sir!

4. cruisin5268d

Reputations:
    Forget those exhaust fans - I want to see someone try out immersion cooling of an Alienware laptop. Submerge the system board in a mineral oil tank with a circulatory system to keep oil moving across the logic board.

5. equalizer2000

Reputations:
    Well, I got mixed results; luckily the process of switching to AHCI was simple - set reboot to be in safe mode, switch in BIOS, boot in SAFE mode, unset the next reboot for safe mode, and restart.

I did a test right then and there, the speeds were markedly worse (default driver installed), nothing unexpected there.

I installed the Samsung driver, and I got the best score ever on this drive for 4K - 50.1 read, 112 write.

Then (and I knew this might happen) I updated the firmware, and speed went down to 48, 105. I set up over-provisioning to 10% (I think drive has 7% already that you can't touch), did a TRIM. Speed was about the same. Then suddenly, few tests later, speeds on the 4K dropped back down to where they were on the Intel driver - 37 and 102, for read and write respectively.

Hmm, now I've closed Magician in case it was doing anything to slow it down, and I am getting 46 read and 95 write.

Considering the write is boosted by cache anyway, I don't think there's much else I can do. Plus when I look at this site, many people seem to be getting similar scores:

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/501128/Samsung-SSD-970-EVO-2TB

I did make sure to keep the CPU from downclocking (ThrottleStop open), and it helped a tiny bit, 1 or 2 MB/s. (could be a normal deviation too though).

Hmm, so in the end, I guess switching to AHCI was more painless than I thought, and at least now I can very easily manage the drive for firmware updates. It is kind of depressing though - of course it has the 5 year warranty and very long lifetime of data written, but for those small 4k random read/write events, it's not that much faster than a basic Sata SSD:

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-2TB-vs-Crucial-MX500-2TB/m430706vsm421719

(well it is significantly faster on the read, about 50% - just not twice as fast or anything, and similar on the write, although I am guessing the SATA drives will slow down after not too much data passes through the buffer)

c69k likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Dell in a nutshell... ssd's, drivers and firmware is the second lottery... It's a huge mess. And why touch Magician? It's bloat.

upload_2018-10-12_8-9-4.png

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  7. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With my Heatsinks, I rarely get over 60s even under gaming. Maybe 70s when benchmarking (which is what I used to check the heatsink performance). Thats on a 256GB PM981 and a 512MB PM961

Under normal use, they are at 40s even 30s

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Never get Samsung EVO NVMe on AW/Dell they won't perform correctly or buggy most of the times. On Dell/AW use Pro series or WD Black or Micron based NVMe drives. Use PM or SM series for best results. 960/970 evo is a mixed bag on Dell/AW or on most BGAs. On desktops EVO work fine.

equalizer2000 and Falkentyne like this.
  9. cruisin5268d

Reputations:
    Not to mention the Pro is a superior drive anyways.

10. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I use an 850 EVO 1TB only for storage space replacing the HDD, And it does not feel laggy at all. The opposite. For OS and games disk, I use 256GB PM981(came from Dell) and 512GB PM961 accordingly as stated before.

Here are all my SSDs benchmarks with their temps. In fact temps have been at 52C max when benchmarking. So cool! Much less than I could remember.

https://imgur.com/a/qn5WsH9

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018