*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Adam Williams

Adam Williams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying a R17 R5 model from HID but still for some reason in two minds! (it's this or the Aorus V7 V8 DT)

is this a good choice? i see so many people say they have issues with their AW laptop...

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    That configuration would work fine. The 8750H / GTX 1070 should not even get close to the heat generated by the 8950HK / GTX 1080, so you likely could get by without repasting too. In theory the new model will have CPU Performance Mode available for the 8750H so TDP can be unlocked to support operating at higher speeds on many cores. Keep in mind that with a GSync panel you will not likely not be able to activate optimus mode, so battery life will be 2-3 hours instead of 7-8.

I would suggest getting more than a one-year warranty on it, but with Dell you can always purchase an extension as long as it is still covered, so you can wait if budget is a concern.

Another option if you do not need the QHD panel is this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...-1tb-hard-drive-black/6228319.p?skuId=6228319

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @alexnvidia
    I surely hope this doesn't become a problem solving thread crossing 2000 pages instantly. I hope Dell fixes most issues from the factory.

DrewN, Vistar Shook, Dr. AMK and 2 others like this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well brother :( it seems to become sh*tshow number 3. brought to you by DELL and ALIENWARE TM. he repasted the TIM for grizzy kryonaught, and starts benching from the 24:00:00 minute mark. temps shoot up immediately, and it shows there is almost no thermal headroom to oc, let alone 5 Ghz. again only LM can keep the temps down (as suspected) in this thin of a chassis.

he starts benchmarking on @4 Ghz and after a minute the temps rise to a temperature of 84 C celsius and won't be pushed around. the wattage is of around 98 to 101.56 watts max. Around 32 minutes he starts to play bf 1. and again, temps rise to around 89 C celsius, this time the cpu manages to keep it's speed most of the times, and was a little bit more prommesing. but if this was supposed to show cryo-tech V2.0, i have to say i'm fairly dissapointed. the new AW command center looks nice, but in now way justifyable, not to port it back to the older models. you have software and hardware, and it seems to me that if a company cannot keep those apart from eachother (while letting them work with eachother in tandem) they have alot to learn. razor have laptops came equipped almost since the beginning of razor with Per Key RGB lightning, even in their chroma keyboards. and only now AW has been able to implement it.

the new ASUS zephyrus, comes with a gsync 120Hz display, AND optimus ! it is not something that's neccesary, but i feel like AW been milking people the last year, when there WAS a option to give us just one MOBO (gsync enabled) and a choice of a screen equiped with gsync or without (so you would give people the option to walk the upgrade path later on).

I think AW is trying to pull an Apple, and they're failing hard :( but this is just my opinion. i used to love those laptops out of the box, now they're no better than any other desktop replacement with lights and BGA motherboard.

Edit: @36:25 to 39:00 it even reaches 95 C degrees ! and shifts from core to core :( it's not looking good for AW :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the cores spiked to 99c! The rest were around 85-92.

If that were stock... I'd say it's a marginal improvement, but you say those are repasted grizzly temps??

DrewN, Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends what you have now, if you have an r4, I wouldn’t buy an r5 and I’d wait till July/August for nvidias new gpus. If you game at 4k the new 6 core cpus will offer nothing for gaming. Buy off the outlet if you really want to buy pascal gpu now...

it’s a shame Alienware won’t offer the 8750H or 8850h with gtx1080, as I suspect temps will limit the hk cpu getting anywhere near 5ghz never mind maintaining a stable speed. And prices are redicolous in the uk

DrewN and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Stock i9-8950Hk run 4.3GHz on all 6 cores. And the notebook can’t hold stock clocks. What with the advertised 5.0GHz ? I know it’s for only 1 core as usual from Dell but the stock 6 cores Oc profile should be well above stock clocks. Not below stock clocks.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    OEMS saw your TS screenie all over this forum and simply posted 5GHz clocks.
    @Mr. Fox Are you terrified or did you know BGA actually hit the power wall and thermal headroom?

Vistar Shook and Dr. AMK like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Terrified? About? I am not sure what you mean. Can you maybe elaborate a bit?

10. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What 17 r5 still have overheting problem?

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

DrewN likes this.