*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just try if it improves it.

Can you run OCCT with same sensor settings?

2. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is running at 3.1GHz... No need to run longer. It does not go higher.
    https://imgur.com/a/4HYAi06

1)BIOS settings are posted above
    2)Alienware command center is not installed
    3)throttlestop removed
    4)Intel XTU installed but did not touch anything in it.

By the way temps are without any unvervolt as you can see

Frequencies continue to drop to 800MHz during idle with windows high performance. I am getting crazy here or I am doing something wrong?

So, is there a power limit option in bios or not?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. captn.ko

Reputations:
    have you installed an older bios version?

4. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    No, but this what I am going to try next. I will try your version

5. captn.ko

Reputations:
    its strange that you have only 3.1ghz with 65w while your temps are ok. Powerlimit is fine so the CPU should boost up to 110w / or thermal throttle

6. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It doesn't show any power limitations in this run (it does on the CB run when you reach 95w, but that's only the max and since all your minimum and current values are with no load, we don't know what happened during most of the test, that is why I mentioned the steps for testing in one of the previous posts, so all the relevant data is displayed).

Your power limits appear to be at 110w (as you can see in the pic you posted), but it tripped the power limit in the CB run (this shouldn't have happened if the 110w was used, but it seems you are also limited elsewhere).

Disable XTU (make sure it doesn't appear in the running services) and and USE TS to manage the speed shift settings (your win high perf power plan settings are not being used since it down-clocks to 800mhz in idle).

You appear to have a similar conflict for power control to the one from here: (read all the posts from that page, you can also try to display the hidden power settings by editing the registry):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-813

Just part of the limit info is displayed on you pics, those that I mentioned in my previous post are missing.

If the info doesn't fit in the window, expand it further with the arrow icon <--> (you don't have to capture the score in the same pic).

The pic should be taken during the test, just before you stop it (so the values from the current category are relevant).

You don't have to start hwinfo after you started the test, but you have to press the clock icon right after the test begins.

7. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    I installed previous bios 1.1.6 to start from there again. OCCT test runs now at 3.5GHz (3.1GHz with latest bios). If I format, is it going to remove whatever is causing the restrictions? I really want to avoid it but it looks like we dont know what it is causing the restricitons

I already tried unticking everything from throttlestop main screen and ticked only speedshift with value of 0. Nothing changed

By the way here are my throttlestop options and the high performance advanced settings.

https://imgur.com/a/Bon5uO7

raz8020 likes this.
  8. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    -Bios set at CPU performance which according to captn.ko sets the power limit to 110W. There is no other power limit setting in R5 bios
    - I have done all throttlestop settings as described
    - cpu performance selected in bios (no difference with full speed according to captn.ko)
    - all others done

Check my screenshot just after starting the test

https://imgur.com/a/3YW05ei

Then Screenshot just after finishing the test

https://imgur.com/a/m5ZRcVA

I attach my Hwinfo log too. Stopped before stopping the test

raz8020 likes this.
  9. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    Here is the prime95 hwinfo log (started logging after starting and stopped before stopping the test). Any help is appreciated thank you both captn.ko and raz8020

Attached Files:

raz8020 likes this.
  10. JasperLee93

JasperLee93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I didn't really do a good job applying the thermal paste and my temps escalated quickly, since I was too excited for this new Alien.

Did a repaste and opened up, here are a couple of pics, requested by @alexnvidia and a few others. The heat sink is made by a manufacturer called ROBIN, instead of CCI and SUNON. Not sure why Dell decided to include that manufacturer. Also, if you noticed, the tension arm causing the uneven heat sink temperatures look different to the R4.

[​IMG]
    Looking good. You can see they use bigger heat pipes as compared to the 17 R4's 1070 heatsink which were smaller.

[​IMG]
    Really Dell/Alienware?! TOOTHPASTE AGAIN?! That's nonsense!!! Stop using it!!!
    That aside, I noticed that the 0.1mm thermal pad was removed. I think so as to allow the heat sink to sit properly on the CPU die, unlike the R4.

[​IMG]
    Dumping the Kyronaut on the CPU and GPU dies, as well as the heatsink (Don't mind me using quite a bit of thermal compound here, HAHA

[​IMG]
    And as a last minute inclusion, I added a tiny copper heat sink on the PCH as well as some electrical tape to prevent the heat sink from shorting the PCH. Thanks @iunlock !

Also, if you noticed, I used different screws I found from my laptop stash that are longer, so I could screw the heat sink down tighter and more evenly.

[​IMG]
    And here are the CPU temps. Running Furmark GPU Stress Test and Furmark 12 Thread CPU Stress at the same time. Don't see any throttling other than power throttling due to the 240W power brick. Also, look at the CPU temps, pretty even, despite the tripod CPU heatsink design eh and I am using a Kyronaut Paste.

I live in Singapore and its a pretty warm country here. So my room temperature was about 32 C when I was testing the system. I believe anyone else here living in countries that are cooler or having an Air Conditioned room will get better results. The laptop is sitting on top of a Cooler Master U3, just so that it gets more breathing room. I also did an undervolt of -100Mv to reduce unnecessary heat (without undervolt, its 5 C warmer) which also doesn't affect performance. CPU TDP around 70-75W

[​IMG]
    GPU Temps. Not bad eh? TDP is 130W now. Unlike 120W before (A 1070 GPU for laptop is rated around 115-120W, according to Nvidia's site, not 150W)

Ran test for about 30 minutes so far and still stable.

[​IMG]
    Cinebench scores.

And, no, I didn't want to use LM paste on this Alien, since this Alien regulars heads outdoors. Also because Dell Singapore is pretty stringent on warranty, I didn't want to get my warranty voided. Even so, while adding LM will most likely bring lower temps, it won't make any difference for my model. But looking at people here who got the i9 1080 model, yikes, looks like lots of issues.