*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will use thermal glue for pch mod

2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have not (dare not) opened the laptop up to check so could you please tell me:

1) How much clearance do we have over the PCH to attach *anything* to it? Like a small heatsink etc or even a copper/aluminium plate say 1mm thick but much larger than the die itself ? I have sheets of aluminium downstairs and thermal glue, I could do it in a jiffy!

2) How much clearance do we have over the SSD to do anything similar?

3) I do not care if the GTX is throttling, let it run in any way it likes, but I had stuttering yesterday while gaming, and I am trying to find the culprit. I was getting 70-100FPS (100 is an artificial limit) but all those benchmark scores are meaningless if for example you spend 115 seconds at 100 FPS and 5 seconds at 10 FPS, because your benchmark overall scores will still be in the 100FPS range, but the 10 FPS is unacceptable even for a few seconds.

So what can be causing it? The CPU was not throttling at all and was running at 70C at good speeds, can it then be the PCH getting too hot and causing this stuttering?

It could of course be some other software also running causing this stuttering. One of the problems is I cannot reproduce it unless I go into a raid and there are another 20-25 players at the same time. I have found no way to trigger it under testing conditions.

Any help to diagnose would be most welcome.

ThePureSuki likes this.
  3. doofus99

Reputations:
    "My old i9 has 1.3v Load voltage @ 4.3ghz with ca 104w Power during cinebench.

The i9 in the new r5 has 1.19v load voltage @4.3ghz with ca.85w power during cinebench"

@captn.ko

How did you manage to exceed the 45W TDP limit in both your old and new laptops?

I have used both Throttlestop and XTU, on both my old and new Dell AW17 laptops, and cannot get the power to exceed the 45W limit no matter what I set it to and it thinks it has done it. As a result, when stressed for anything over a few seconds, I am limited by the 45W and only undervolting "buys" me a few extra MHz (maybe from 3.12GHz to 3.5GHz when the power throttle kicks in, about half way though the Cinebench CPU test).

My voltages are 0.9V @ 3.12GHz no undervolting, and 0.86V @ 3.47GHz with -150mV, all at 45W throttled.

Actually just watched a youtube video, on another i9 laptop, an XPS, he is getting *exactly* same results as me, around 3GHz with no undervolt and 3.5GHz with -150mV.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  4. doofus99

Reputations:
    Ah! I have now managed to overcome the TDP limit! You have to go into the BIOS and select an OC profile. Then it appears it UNLOCKS the TDP and now I can go higher. I just got CB 1388 cb by setting the TDP to 80W (from 45W).

5. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1) search for rasberry heatsinks (amazon or ebay). I tried some exactly the size of R5 PCH and small enough to fit the chassis. And they come with 3M thermal glue on them. They are also cheap. It sticked so well I had difficulty to remove it. I did not use any thermal paste (maybe I should) but this kind of heatsinks are made to stick directly on the chip. I did not have time to try and actually the laptop died (did not power on) before I manage to.

2) use any NVME heatsink you can see on amazon. Make sure it is for laptop too (some may be too big)

3) yes benchmarks are meaningless when you get stuttering in game. Thats why I always say try farcry 5 and not benchmarks. I can also think that it maybe the SSD temps causing the stuttering? Is it ok after setting an overclock profile in BIOS? By the way you can do it through alienware command center too.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Maldax

Maldax Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, Just joined and would like some advice please :) ...Going to get a 17 G5. I'm not what you would call a really serious gamer but don't want to be limited to what I can play as I am at the moment with my now getting long in the teeth Vaio. I also like to do a bit of photography so will be using it for Photoshop etc. So my conundrum is this...UHD 60Hz or QHD 120Hz both with g-sync etc

7. doofus99

Reputations:
    The UHD panel has unbelievable colours... and 4K of course

8. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone tried the latest Bios? Any changes or improvements?

9. doofus99

Reputations:
    I have just had it installed, it is version 1.1.6, and stupidly I cannot recall what the previous version was :)

10. paulrs1975

paulrs1975 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    r u guna buy fc5 for me then ;)

JTOverath likes this.